Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Gabriela Crego, Social Impact Leader at Rock Content.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I am responsible for Rock.org, the social impact initiative at Rock Content. I created the program in 2019, and since then we have been doing our best to make education resources available for everyone in Brazil. We run a program called Rock’n’Grow an online development program that provides scholarships to Rock University courses. These courses are focused on developing relevant skills needed in the job market in four main areas: digital marketing, social media, sales and customer success.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

I graduated with a degree in Production Engineering, but decided to take a more nontraditional path. Together with two friends, I founded a nonprofit called Naação in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. The main goal was to leverage the impact of social leaders by sharing knowledge regarding financial suitability. To offset my low salary as a nonprofit leader, I decided to accepted an offer to work part time at the sales team at Rock Content. After 6 months working there, there was a huge opportunity to bring these two worlds together. The task was to create a social impact program within the company, from the ground up. Convincing the leadership team of the importance of this program was crucial to our execution.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

It is hard for me to say my number one decision. I believe a path of right and wrong decisions have helped me get where I am today.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

Remain optimistic, and learn to adapt and move quickly. To get through all of the challenges we faced last last year, we had to exhibit bravery. We had to think fast and bring different solutions. This was especially true as we were working with underrepresented students, many of whom did not have access to the digital world.

I also learned to focus on what make our team strong, and to never forget the core values and culture.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Not yet, but I always have that top of mind. It’s something I plan to cultivate this year.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Believe in yourself, trust your voice, and remain true to your values – then, go for it!

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

Expand our program beyond Brazil and make it a global initiative.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

Education and equal opportunities for everyone.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

We joined when we first created our social impact program, but more effectively in 2020. Pledge 1% was a huge opportunity for us to exchange knowledge with people working in the same area – facing similar challenges. It has been an amazing learning experience, and supported us with tools and resources to help us build.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

I have a dream to travel around in a trailer. So, I spent some time researching, and started building my own.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

At the moment I’ve studying about ESG, so I follow a podcast called ESG agenda and news from Capital Reset (an independent Brazilian journal).

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

I created an office outside my bedroom. That way I ensure I don’t spend 24 hours a day in the same room.