Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

2024 #WomenWhoLead covers (2).png

Bijal Shah

CEO, Guild

📍Denver, CO USA

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Kind. I deeply believe that treating people with respect, empathy, directness, and generosity of intent is kind, even when you have to make tough decisions as a leader.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

It is important, and always has been, for companies to be intentional about building businesses that deliver value for their shareholders and their communities alike. In the U.S. in particular, corporate leaders hold a lot of power, influence, and funds to make the communities and societies we live in better, more resilient, and future-focused.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

Individually, I am a champion for Girls as part of Girls Inc of Metro Denver, which inspires girls to be “strong, smart, and bold” and an avid supporter (along with my husband) of Judi’s House, a non-profit that focuses on grief and bereavement.

Our teams at Guild receive up to 5 days of paid “VTO” (Volunteer Time Off) for volunteer/civic activism, helping them earmark time to give back to the communities where they live and work. I’m proud of the long list of organizations that our Guilders support on the local and national level. 

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

Satya Nadella said, “Don’t wait until your next job to do your best job.”

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

You can’t talk about an equitable and inclusive workplace without talking about the need for increased access to reliable and affordable childcare in this country. This is the number one reason that women leave or change jobs.

In fact, a 2022 report by Motherly showed that a total of 46% of mothers who remain unemployed left the workforce due to childcare issues. Earlier this year, I shared a photo on LinkedIn of my son watching me practice for a keynote at Guild’s Opportunity Summit. I’m grateful that we set a standard at Guild that makes it possible, five months postpartum, for my son to travel with me as I attend a flagship event for Guild. That’s not the case everywhere- and we collectively must do better. 

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Don’t worry so much about the title and pay of the role you take starting out. Instead, focus on working somewhere that will provide you with great training, mentorship, and access to learning and stretching yourself.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

This year, I’m looking forward to continuing to grow and learn as both a leader and a mom of 2. We are working on some really exciting projects at Guild that I can’t share quite yet, but that are high on my list of things I’m looking forward to, especially as employers continue to need to transform their workforces.

Feel free to follow me over on LinkedIn and I promise you’ll know what I’m talking about in the coming months!

“Don’t wait until your next job to do your best job.”