cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

53.jpg

Giulia Acchioni Mena

Co-founder and COO, ZIM Connections
📍London, United Kingdom

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?
Curious, because my personal and professional journey is driven by a deep desire to learn, explore, and understand new cultures, technologies, and ideas, which fuels my passion for ZIM.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?
Absolutely, I believe it's crucial for today's corporate leaders to prioritize social impact. In an era where the lines between societal challenges and business opportunities are increasingly blurred, leveraging a platform like Pledge 1% not only fosters a culture of giving back but also aligns a company's success with the well-being of the broader community. This approach ensures businesses contribute positively to society, driving change and sustainability through their operations. It's about recognizing that long-term success is intricately linked to the health of the environment we operate in and the communities we serve.

By prioritizing social impact, companies can create a ripple effect, inspiring others to follow suit, thereby amplifying the potential for positive change in the world.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?
Yes, giving back to the community is at the heart of what we do at ZIM. Our commitment to social responsibility is woven into our business practices, particularly through initiatives that promote digital inclusion and environmental sustainability.

By leveraging our eSIM technology, we not only offer a more sustainable solution by significantly reducing plastic use but also ensure broader access to communication services for underserved communities. Moreover, our dedication extends beyond environmental efforts to embodying true global citizenship. We've embraced diversity and inclusivity by employing people from all over the world.

A testament to this commitment is our endeavor to assist an employee from Syria. Facing severe conditions in his homeland, he sought a better future for his family. Recognizing the value he could bring to our team and the difference we could make in his life, we navigated the complex visa process, especially as a Startup, to welcome him and his family to London. Now, two years later, he continues to be a vital part of the ZIM family, exemplifying our belief in the power of technology to not just connect people, but to change lives.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

The best piece of advice I've ever received is to "embrace your unique journey and trust the process." This personal guidance has been a beacon through the ups and downs of entrepreneurship, reminding me that each challenge and success is a step towards realizing our vision at ZIM. It taught me the importance of patience, resilience, and faith in my path, encouraging me to stay true to our mission, even when faced with uncertainty.

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?
To foster more equitable and inclusive workplaces for women, businesses can actively invest in gender diversity initiatives that go beyond surface-level commitments. This involves setting measurable diversity goals and holding leadership accountable for achieving them.

Encouraging a work environment that promotes work-life balance through flexible working hours and remote work options can significantly benefit women, especially those managing family and career responsibilities. Additionally, creating women's networks within the organization can provide valuable support, mentorship, and advocacy opportunities. These networks empower women to share experiences, challenges, and strategies for success, enhancing their professional growth and visibility in the company. By implementing these concrete actions, companies can make significant strides toward creating a more inclusive and equitable workplace for women.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?
For women just beginning their careers, my advice is to cultivate a strong sense of self-confidence and assertiveness.

Believe in your abilities and value, and don't be afraid to voice your opinions and ideas. Seek out mentors and allies who support your growth and can provide guidance based on their experiences. Networking is also crucial; build relationships within your industry and beyond, as these connections can open doors to opportunities and offer invaluable support.

Additionally, be open to learning and adapting—your early career is a time for exploration and skill-building. Embrace challenges as opportunities to grow and define your path. Lastly, remember to advocate for yourself, whether it's in negotiations for salary, roles, or new projects. Knowing your worth and asking for what you deserve is fundamental in building a fulfilling career.

Believe in your abilities and value, and don't be afraid to voice your opinions and ideas.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?
This year, I'm particularly excited about the journey ahead for ZIM.

I look forward to seeing how our company will evolve, the new challenges we'll navigate, and the successes that will shape our path. The potential for growth and innovation within ZIM fuels my enthusiasm for the future, as we aim to further disrupt the travel connectivity sector and enhance our offerings.

On a personal level, I aspire to travel more, exploring new cultures and perspectives that can enrich both our business and my personal life. Achieving a healthier work-life balance is also a key goal for me; I believe in the importance of nurturing personal well-being to sustain creativity and drive in professional endeavors.