Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

March 11.png

Virginia Tenpenny

President, North America and Chief Impact Officer, Goodera
📍Nashville, Tennessee

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why? Please explain with a short story or example.
Hopeful. I’m hopeful not because of a natural disposition but because I had the privilege of working among leaders who instilled an understanding of what hope is and how to cultivate it on and off the job. As a team, we nurtured the elements that make hope possible: agency, worth, possibility, connection and openness. This was a profound gift that delivered results for the business and continues to enrich all spheres of my life from leadership on the job, how I parent, and the belief I have in a brighter future for all.

1.png

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?
Social impact is vital for companies who want to hire the best talent, build trust with their customers, and who have ambitions for the business to endure beyond this decade. An effective social impact strategy helps to future proof the business and sets conditions for mutual thriving across the workforce, the business and the communities it serves.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like? Please feel free to add a specific story or experience.
Engaging in volunteering has been a part of every role I’ve held for over twenty years. I now have the opportunity to work for a company that makes it even easier for businesses to engage and deploy their best asset - their people - into communities to help advance change. As part of my job, I get to join colleagues to test new volunteer experiences, as well as join volunteer projects with our clients and their employees.

Pledge 1%_Image 2.jpg

Beyond the job, I continue to serve on the board of directors for UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, which has provided me with the experiences and skills to help be a better leader on the job.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?
“Get out of your comfort zone”. Don’t be afraid to fail and trust that every experience is teaching you something that will serve you as you move forward.

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?
Creating equitable and inclusive workplaces for women requires a comprehensive approach that is reflected across policies, programs and company culture. Companies need to address structural issues from pay transparency to equity across pay and benefits. And people need to “see it to be it”, meaning leadership teams need to reflect the diverse workforce and it’s important for women to see leaders who may also be working moms or in a caregiver role.

Two-way mentorship is also important for leaders to understand challenges women face in the workplace and understand what support they need from their employer - from flexible schedules to training and mentorship programs. Focusing on creating a more inclusive workplace for women, or any specific population, accelerates the creation of a more inclusive workplace for all.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?
My career advice is to follow the superpower + passion + priority formula.

"Reflect on your unique superpower: what are you particularly good at or enjoy doing? Embrace it and develop it. Next, reflect on your passion: what causes get you out of bed or issues do you find more intellectually engaging? Then find a company or team within a company where that cause is a priority."

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?
I’ve dedicated 2024 as my learning year and seek to learn as much as I can on the job, off the job as a parent, and to learn to play pickleball (and ultimately beat my husband).