This story was submitted as part of the #Pledge1Gives GivingTuesday campaign, which celebrates the many ways our member companies are having an impact around the world.

A few months after my divorce, I hit rock bottom. Curled into the fetal position on the bathroom floor, crying onto the tile, my stepmom gave me the best advice you can get, “Go do something for someone else.”

I’d always been a huge animal lover so getting involved in rescue was an obvious choice. I knew “fur therapy” would help me get out of my funk, but what I didn’t realize at the time, is that not only would supporting a nonprofit help my personal life, it would also help my career.

For years, I worked random jobs and spent my free time organizing animal rescue events, handling speaking engagements and television appearances, and creating content (website pages, newsletters, blogs) to support the animals. In fact, if there’s an animal pun to be made, I’ve probably made it.

When I was laid off from my job, it occurred to me that maybe it was time to start my own business.  The skills that I’d learned while volunteering became my products and services. Having found my voice speaking up for homeless animals, I became a professional speaker and writer. Now, I have the honor of helping businesses and nonprofits tell their stories and stand out from the competition.  Even better, I get to help spread the message of how you can actually improve your business by supporting nonprofits.

When I started my business, Sheryl Green Speaks, continuing to support Hearts Alive Village animal rescue was a no-brainer.  A percentage of my speaking engagements, my book sales, and my writing projects go to support the animals and I continue to donate my time to be a voice for these fuzzbutts. I also share my platform with rescues, bringing adoptable dogs on stage when I speak to give them more chances of being adopted.

Hannah is one of the pups I’ve been able to help. She’s a 9-year old shepherd mix who lost both of her parents last year. Their daughter tried to help find her a home, but with a life and family of her own, she couldn’t keep Hannah and this poor pup ended up at the shelter.

Due to her age and the arthritis in her hips, Hannah wasn’t going to make it out of the shelter alive. With just a day left, Hearts Alive Village swooped in to give this girl another chance at life. She became the greeter at their Oldies But Goodies Senior Adoption Center and entertained visitors with her lovely singing voice. I know it’s beautiful, because I howled on live television right alongside her. Hannah is now in a foster home but she’s still looking for her furever family. Visit http://www.heartsalivevillage.org  for more information.

While I love what I do helping businesses, supporting animal rescue has brought new meaning to my life. Whether you’re a new entrepreneur or have been in business for years, supporting a nonprofit may be the best decision you ever make. (And please adopt, don’t shop!)