Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Nisha Kadaba, Global Social Impact Programs at PagerDuty.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I channel our company’s resources to accelerate change in our local and global communities. I’m a passionate builder – from strategic partnerships and deep relationships, to innovative programs and campaigns.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

I took the plunge and left my first job in Los Angeles to attend the University of Edinburgh in Scotland to get my Masters Degree in Environment and International Development. It was one of the first programs of its kind, critically examining the inter-relationship between development and the environment, with a specific focus on social and environmental justice. This foundational knowledge inspired me to investigate the role technology plays in solving the world’s most pressing challenges. I’ve embarked on a career working at the intersection of tech and social impact.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

Let go of what you can’t control. I had a baby in June 2020, and bringing our son into the world during such a tumultuous time forced us to focus on what we could control and hone in on what was really important for our family.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

The age-old question – how do you achieve work/life balance, especially during challenging times? I am passionate about motherhood and passionate about my career – how do I succeed at both?

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes – I have several mentors. I view them as my “personal board of directors” and engage different people for different purposes. I’m lucky I’ve built a network of people that I can lean on when I need advice, both professionally and personally.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

I’m really looking forward to building out our new pro bono program at PagerDuty.org. We have incredibly passionate employees with valuable expertise, and I’m excited to connect them with nonprofit customers and grantees that will leverage PagerDuty’s platform and technology to further their critical work.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

I spent the summer of 2011 doing research for my thesis in the Amazon forest in Northern Paraguay at the Centro Educativo Mbaracayú – a unique school for adolescent girls that teaches entrepreneurship, environmental sustainability, and natural resource management. The students at the school impacted me for life – their resilience, commitment to their communities, and love for the environment was unparalleled. I’ve since supported the school and even keep in touch with some of the students – one in particular is now a Sustainable Tourism leader!

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

PagerDuty joined Pledge 1% in 2017, and I joined our team in 2019. We have a small but mighty team, but we really move mountains to build thoughtful, meaningful programs that inspire our colleagues and make a tangible impact in our local and global communities.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

My husband is a true mountain man, and has inspired me to look to nature to replenish and re-energize. You can find us hiking, fishing, or picnicking in Marin.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I’m almost finished with “Milkman” by Anna Burns. I’m really moved by immersive stories from Northern Ireland, since my husband is from there.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

Walking meetings – take a Zoom call to-go and walk around the block and get some sunshine. It’s tough being on camera/staring at a screen all day long, so walking meetings have been a great change of pace.