Laura-Galbraith-Vidyard-with-logo

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Laura Galbraith, Community Engagement Program Manager at Vidyard.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I run the community social impact program at Vidyard. I work to build and implement Vidyard’s social impact programming through a variety of different initiatives and programs. The goal is to introduce giving back through volunteering as a way of life and business at Vidyard. I work with other local groups and committees to help build a stronger community for all.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

When I was in university, I was painfully shy. I would purposely choose courses and classes where I didn’t have to talk or present. I knew I didn’t want this to continue to be a barrier for me in my life. Since then, I have tried to say yes to opportunities that would have sent me running before (presentations, workshops etc). Looking back now, I am glad I faced my fear.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Instead of focusing on challenges, we need to focus on our responsibility to the next generation. We must continue to inspire the next generation of young women to pursue a career in technology and STEM fields. We must be there as mentors and role models to help break the glass ceiling

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

I have different mentors for different areas of my life. Mentors can help push us personally and professionally. They can identify areas of growth needed in our life that sometimes we cannot see, and offer advice and lived experiences for similar situations. They can offer encouragement in situations and help us move toward our goals.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Say yes to new challenges and risks. Put yourself out there. Some of my best decisions in my career, and life, have been the times I spoke up and raised my hand to take on something new.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

A local podcast, Bossy Woman. It includes a lot of really great local content, but it also covers subjects that are universal.