cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

WWL 2022 - Headshots(16).png

Karen Chan

Executive / Project Lead, ADAPTOVATE

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences. 

I am an experienced Agile Coach and Consultant who helps organizations achieve their business transformation objectives using agile frameworks and methodologies. I have led and coached teams at scale from initiation to execution. 

What’s the best part of your job? What do you enjoy the most?

At heart, I'm still a Quality Engineer - I want to make things better. My job gives me the opportunity to create sustainable, impactful change for clients and I'm able to use these skills in my volunteer work to support and strengthen my community and my profession. 

We’ve all faced personal and professional challenges these past two years - what motivates you to keep going?

It's knowing that the outcome I'm trying to achieve is worth the work, effort and time. For example, I believe it's incredibly important for there to be more women in STEM and in leadership; how I live this belief is by organizing events like Mathletics, mentoring new graduates and young career professionals through the engineering licensing process, and making sure our hiring processes and candidate pools are diverse and inclusive. 

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received? 

Look at things as an opportunity rather than a challenge. This flip in mindset is incredibly powerful.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Organized. One of my managers told me that he didn't realize organization was a talent until he met me. I enjoy strategic planning because I love seeing things execute well. Being organized helps me to achieve that outcome. 

If you could pick a song to guide you through 2022, which song would it be? 

Sara Bareilles "Brave" has always resonated with me. Be brave enough to be who you are, speak up and speak out for the things that matter to you. As an Asian woman in engineering and now leadership roles, it's even more important to make sure I create space for others to be brave enough to be who they are.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

Personally, I am looking forward to traveling and family vacations again. Professionally, I am looking forward to continuing to grow our ADAPTOVATE Toronto office. In my volunteer life, I am looking forward to continuing to mentor women through the Women for STEM program at Ontario Tech U and mentoring young professionals through the engineering licensing process. I've also been invited to join the WAGE (Women and Gender Equity Canada) Procurement Advisory Group so I am looking forward to developing public policy to create more diverse and inclusive workplaces.