cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Julie-Barker-Zylo

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Julie Barker, VP of Talent at Zylo.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

As our VP of Talent at Zylo, I lead all things people. This includes everything from recruitment marketing, to hiring the best talent that is able to provide the best experience to our customers, to talent programs and how we live out our values daily.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

I always went in to roles with a plan to take on more. I would first prove myself in the one role, so it felt easy to add more. I always say master your current role first and mentor those while you are there. Then, you will be seen for the next opportunity.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Things I continue to hear is being advocates and sponsors for other women. The more opportunity we have to bring in our male sponsors and advocates into the conversations, the better.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes, it’s actually someone who has reported to me in the past. She challenges me in a great way, brings out other ideas and perspectives and also has the perspective of working for me. I learn from her a ton.

I have had several amazing mentors over my career and many folks I am currently mentoring. We constantly learn from each other. Mentoring has been the greatest leadership opportunity I have had.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Be authentic, pursue things you are not sure you are 100% qualified for and be intentional and genuine about the network you build.

I always say people will match energy. If you pursue something in your career and take ownership, the other person will at least match you. If you expect for a career to be created for you, you will likely be disappointed.

What woman inspires you the most? Why?

Right now it is my 8-year-old daughter. There are so many leadership qualities I see from her including taking risks, always bringing someone new into a group, helping classmates and not seeing color.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

For Podcasts- Handle with Care: Empathy in the Workplace and How I Built This.

What’s something coming up that excites you?

On the personal front, a long weekend beach trip with my aunt and cousin. With Pledge 1%, we are working with them to bring the Indy Pledge 1% companies together for greater impact across the city.

Originally posted: March 13, 2020