cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 3.43.43 PM.png

Jessica Bussert

Founder/CEO, Wave Therapeutics

Nashville, IN

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences. 

As the founder my role includes a bit of everything. I was the original innovator of our technology and personally developed our first eight prototypes. Now, as we grow, I'm more focused on management and fundraising.

What’s the best part of your job? What do you enjoy the most?

I'm an old school hacker/maker! I really love doing the innovation work for our company. That said, because I'm so passionate about what we are doing I also make a great evangelist for Wave. It's a lot of fun to tell our exciting story!

We’ve all faced personal and professional challenges these past two years - what motivates you to keep going?

I know that our technology has the very real opportunity to save lives. At the end of the day what could be a better motivator?

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

Find joy in the "now". Yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't promised to us. The only thing we really have is this very moment.

What does generosity mean to you? 

I was blessed with some wonderful gifts and opportunities but at the end of the day that is all they are; gifts. It's my obligation (and joy) to try and share those with my community and the world at large.

How do you feel businesses can play a larger role in solving today’s biggest challenges? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

We live in a capitalist society. In a real way business is the only way to make change. At Wave Therapeutics, we're focused on creating a better technology to prevent bedsores and then offering it at an affordable price that anyone can afford. I think our world would be a much better place if more companies pursued a fair and reasonable profit instead of gouging the market for all it is worth. Avarice never benefited anyone in the long run.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Kind. Because it matters so deeply on a human level to simply be seen, and witnessed. We can be going Persistent! If you curl up and die after the first hurdle or bit of bad news you'll never get anything done. Pick yourself up, wipe off the dust, and try again!

If you could pick a song to guide you through 2022, which song would it be?

"Perfect" by Pink. That, or "Rebel Girl" by Bikini Kill. It's a bit of a toss-up!

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

Wave Therapeutics is just about to launch our first product and raise our Seed round of funding. I'm so excited about what we're doing!