cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Color Logo - Copeland Holly.jpg

Generous financial support and event volunteering will always be foundational ways for companies to support local community and non-profit organizations. But at Horizon, we’ve added a progressive new way to build these relationships, engage employees in our giving activities and meet Pledge 1% priorities: enabling employees to be non-profit board members.

Since inception, Horizon has worked to embed Corporate Social Responsibility into our business and make it part of who we are and how we operate. Donations to non-profit organizations began when the company was six years old and has continued to expand beyond the financial into partnerships that have made a difference

Over time, Horizon discovered a gap between nonprofits and their need for board members and a gap for employees who hope to volunteer as board members. Employees had the desire to donate their time and expertise but were not certain how to get involved at that level. So, in 2020, Horizon developed Boards+, a program to facilitate nonprofit board services for employees while supporting nonprofits. This progressive initiative allows employees to donate their time and expertise and helps nonprofits with new thinking and energy to meet their goals. We know success often comes down to people and nonprofits rely on individuals dedicated to and passionate about their mission to succeed.

This innovative initiative educates employees on becoming successful board members, builds a community of Horizon employees serving on boards, and assists nonprofits in finding new and diverse individuals to serve on their board. Most importantly, it creates an opportunity for employees to increase their impact on meaningful nonprofit boards in their personal time.

With this unique need for board members, Horizon asked employees to participate in a company wide survey that gathered personal interest and desire to serve on a board. Survey data and existing board vacancies were identified, then Horizon matched nonprofit boards in need of members with employees.

As a result, Horizon has successfully placed 62 individuals on boards aligned with their personal interest while also supporting the nonprofit with a genuinely dedicated and motivated board member. “Thanks to Horizon’s Boards+ program I was connected to the Colorectal Cancer Alliance whose mission is to save lives through awareness and prevention of colorectal cancer. My wife and I are extremely passionate about this cause given the loss of my brother-in-law, Ryan, to this disease. Thanks to Horizon’s support I am now a member of their board of directors. You can find more information about the organization here” said Joe Whalen, senior vice president, M&A and alliances, Horizon. This one-of-a-kind program is one that Horizon developed to better their community, nonprofits, and employee growth.