Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

21.png

Erin Dieterich

Sr. Director, ESG & Social Impact, New Relic

📍Portland, Oregon, USA

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Creator. I've had the opportunity throughout my career to start with a blank slate, build the strategy, vision, programs and team and execute on the Social Impact and ESG portfolio. Seeing the work emerge out of ideas, and finding the connective pieces through the business - while selling and influencing internally to get alignment and get to launch drives me forward.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

There has never been a more important time to continue to press for the important role companies can have in making a positive impact on the world. I'm thrilled that we've moved into a new chapter where there are lots of examples of companies doing well and doing good - these examples help us know that it's not one or the other, it's both. If strategically aligned corporate social impact work can and should support the problems the company is trying to solve.

Social Impact work can also bring customers and employees to the table, increase retention, attraction and innovation and help build culture and brand.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

One piece of advice I think about a lot is 'to thrive in this work you need to be patiently persistent'.

This work doesn't always get top priority, not everyone understands it right away - but you still stick with it, you chip away, find your influential champions and you keep going. Sometimes I've had to really work hard on the patience side of this - it's so hard to see the opportunity and not be able to grab it right away. But being patient, and understanding that any company has seasons and it's not always the right season to push a new program/initiative, etc has been critical in succeeding. Patience is key in knowing and thriving in the fact that some pieces are going to take longer than others to put in place, but you don't sit back and forget the opportunity - that's the persistence piece, you keep at it, finding the new angle, the different path forward, looking for the piece or the person whose challenge is shared so you can both succeed together.

"To thrive in this work you need to be patiently persistent."

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

We can ask more questions about what women want, what they need and what their ideas are.

We can action those ideas and give the person whose idea it was the reigns to lead. As a female ESG leader, I try to connect with other women leaders in the space as much as I can -- and to provide advice, ideas, opportunities to bounce ideas off of each other, or a place to find camaraderie and connection and make folks feel less alone in their work.

I know, in return I am so thankful for all the women who do this and have done this for me - I think of them as my unofficial team - we're all building each other up, and pulling for each other to succeed.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Don't be too concerned with what the pathway is - how many years you think you should be in each roll, what titles you should have. Don't let the destination (be it a title, a company) be more important than what you learn along the way.

Read everything, soak in the information, understand the company you are working for, and the industry you're in. ESG role require you to understand the business, that means all of it - be curious - ask questions, make connections and offer support and help where you can. You don't have to have a Social Impact, Sustainability or ESG role to do this work - you can find a company you are passionate about and be an leader from any role.