What is your name and title?

Melissa Grimes, Chief Operating Officer at Nextep.

Briefly describe your role at your company?

As the COO, I’m responsible for the operations of the company, supporting our CEO, and working towards ensuring our business goals and objectives are met and understood throughout the organization . At Nextep we have a people-first culture and as the COO I work with our internal departments to pass that along to our clients.

How long have you been in your current position?

I have worked at Nextep, Inc. for 20 years and was actually Nextep’s first employee. I started during college working in the HR department. Throughout my 20 years I have held many different roles, five years ago taking on the role of Chief Operating Officer.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

When you are applying for jobs, look at companies that exemplify your personal values. I have worked at Nextep for 20 years because my values and the company’s align. Find somewhere that you can see yourself investing in and will invest in you.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

The Women’s Resource Center in our community is a cause that I love to support. They help women and children escape abusive situations and get back on their feet. Throughout my life,

I’ve had people in my life who’ve empowered me and I want to give that back to other women, especially those who haven’t been dealt the best hand.

Do you serve as a mentor? If so, what does mentorship mean to you?

Within Nextep, I serve as a mentor to our VP’s. For me being their mentor goes beyond our work at Nextep, but ensuring that they are fulfilled at work and personally. Mentorship is more than giving advice, but investing in people’s lives so that they can get the most out of it.

What’s the one piece of advice you would give to yourself 5 years ago?

Invest in people who you can trust to do your job. In the last 5 years our company has grown exponentially, adding a new layer of leadership. In that time I have learned to delegate responsibilities and it has been easy because I know I can fully trust those leaders.

Are you reading anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite read!

I love to read but am also big on listening to podcasts. My most recent favorite is Leadership University by Dr. Henry Cloud.

If you could sit down with three women (living or dead) for dinner, who would those three women be (and why!)?

Sheryl Sandberg – As I have grown into my leadership role, I have always admired her people-first attitude and commitment to her team.

Melinda Gates – Melinda has strong philanthropic values and advocates for people who need help getting their voices heard.

Michelle Obama – Michelle is an incredible role-model for leading with grace and poise.

What’s something coming up soon (personally or professionally) that super excites you?

Last year we started the Nextep Charitable Foundation within our company to serve nonprofits and charitable organizations in our community. I am extremely excited to see our foundation grow in the coming years. We have huge goals to meet, one of them being to serve 100 nonprofits with a year of free administrative services to help ease their burden. This foundation is close to my heart because I get to see the impact our entire team at Nextep continues to make outside of our walls.