Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

0241C777-DECB-4781-A8C5-904045F7EB42 - Allie Blair.png

This story was submitted by Spaulding Ridge

At Spaulding Ridge, giving back is in our DNA. We volunteer our time, expertise, and resources to benefit communities where we work and support partner organizations that are making the world a better place. Through community service events across the globe, our employees create impactful and meaningful change in their communities. We’re incredibly proud to say our employees have volunteered over 3,000 hours year-to-date, and we hope to continue this trend as we wrap up the year. Every member of the Spaulding Ridge band contributes in their own way—but one member of our team, Ember Parr, went above and beyond. Here’s her story:

Innov8 Africa

Innov8 Africa is a non-profit organization that partners with schools and communities in Kenya. The organization ensures communities have access to eight modules: clean water, food security, reforestation, beekeeping, poultry farming, livestock banking, solar power, and computer technology. The organization’s founders, Lisa Palet and Ernie Williams, are family friends of mine, and earlier this year, my son Aiden, other family members, and I flew to Narok County in Kenya to volunteer. We worked with teachers, local leaders, and the Innov8 Africa team at local schools and neighboring communities. In partnership with Innov8 Africa and other community partners, we helped provide millions of liters of clean water, educational opportunities, and much more.

A5F33C81-CD49-462D-AA68-F9179E66C0FC - Allie Blair.png

Oloisiyio Arid Zone Primary School

The group’s first school visit was with the students at Oloisiyio School in Narok County, one of the first schools to get sponsorship from Innov8 Africa. Since the sponsorship began, the school has seen profound improvements; the implementation of reliable food & water sources and the installation of computer labs gave the school access to all eight modules. Students acquired access to everything they needed to thrive, and Oloisiyio is now one of only three schools in Narok with a functional computer lab!

Oloamiana Primary School

Next, our group visited Oloamiana Primary, where students and staff were preparing a celebration before a three-month break from school. The students taught us about their own cooking techniques, including how to make a type of flatbread popular in Kenya called Chapati, and we taught the kids how Americans make mashed potatoes! In preparation for our visit, the children made chef’s hats to wear! As the day went on, students even taught us some of the traditional Maasai dances, though none of us were very good!

Oloamiana was struggling to capture water from a nearby well, resulting in diminished crop production. During our visit, the Innov8 Africa team was able to provide a new water tank which will give the students and staff necessary food security for the coming years. 

Beekeeping with the Maasai Women

On our next adventure, we spent a full day with a group of women who run a co-op beekeeping operation. Innov8 Africa empowers these women to purchase beehives and provide educational resources on different beekeeping practices. Through this operation, the women can earn money to support their communities.

53118F77-C0D7-45AA-B8DB-AAA5FA0C2F15 - Allie Blair.png

During the day, we spent time with the women, getting to know them on a personal level and understanding their way of life. I learned about the 32-mile round trip these women make each week to visit the market, sell honey, and buy necessities. In the evening, they taught us how to make a traditional Maasai dinner in their homes and shared a meal with us. When the sun set, the bees became docile enough to collect honey.

9EE66489-A505-498A-AA53-E790EFF5923B - Allie Blair.png

Women’s Issues and Providing Educational Resources

During one of our dinners in Narok, we had the opportunity to meet with Anne Mootian. Anne is a women’s advocate in Kenya and has traveled internationally spreading awareness of the issues women face. The group and I had an informative and meaningful conversation with Anne, and I was especially grateful to have my son there to learn about the positive work being done for women.

Education leaders in Narok take time with female students to educate them on safe practices and offer resources to aid in their success as young leaders. Learning the importance of female empowerment in Narok was an experience I’ll take with me in everything I do.

My Takeaway

My time with Innov8 Africa and the communities they support was life changing. Despite the issues they face daily, the people I met were eager to improve their communities and provide their children with more resources. Experiencing the trip with my son, I thought about how lucky we both were that I could give him food, water, and an education—and how grateful I was Innov8 Africa is there for the communities who need it.

ECCB3582-1F8D-41B0-BB53-463704822CD2 - Allie Blair.png