Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

7.png

Renee Barker

Director, Circular Economy Partnerships, LiquiDonate

📍Nashville, Tennessee, USA

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Adaptable - leading with the ability to adjust in changing circumstances is so important in an emerging climate tech industry. In my role, it is important to understand and adapt to the needs of our partners on both sides of the equation. For example, I explored how we can provide metrics and storytelling to retailers and nonprofits that match their needs. We do this through customizable reporting and shareable assets for both that relate to their audiences. Retailers want to know pounds diverted and number of recipients and nonprofits want ways to showcase donations in action with their clients.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

Definitely important! It is so needed to contribute to the future of our communities. We have to continue to collaborate to make a more sustainable world, and operate in a way that builds up society to be more equitable. A corporate culture of sustainability is an ongoing effort, and each time we prioritize social impact we are prioritizing our futures. No matter how large of a business you are, there are always opportunities.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

I love that LiquiDonate offers paid volunteer time, and that we take initiative in volunteering when our remote team gets together. When we travel for a conference or event, we set aside time to work with a local organization. Some examples this past year include volunteering at a food bank, picking up litter, sorting items at a community center, food rescue, and more.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

You don't know what you don't know and that's okay! Seek opportunities to connect with others and learn from people. Sharing and collaborating is how we can all grow.

"Seek opportunities to connect with others and learn from people. Sharing and collaborating is how we can all grow."

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

Workplace transparency is important and I believe we are past the days of safeguarding so many unknowns. To be equitable and inclusive, today's workplaces can invest in their women and make clear opportunities for training, mentorship, and advancement pathways.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Informational interviews! Find someone who has the job you want or does something you find interesting, and learn more directly from the source. Many folks are very willing to set aside some time to chat and answer specific questions about their career.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

I'm excited to keep building on our product offerings and expand our network to more nonprofits and schools in need. We hit some great milestones last year -- every state now has a member! There is so much more room to grow and help companies make a positive impact in all communities and I hope to move donations in every U.S. city.