Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Peggy O’Flaherty, Co-Founder & Chief Community Officer of Mavely.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

As CCO, I bring together over 25,000 women and 300 plus brands, mostly female-founded, to empower growth. The women are creating income and content, and the brands are acquiring customers at a lower cost and gaining a higher lifetime value of a customer from trusted referrals.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

Mavely is my 4th company. I have spent my entire career building up women and women businesses, as well as women’s faith. I strongly encourage women to reach out and offer a hand to support another women on their journey. I admire men that do that for women as well. My last investor and I made an enormous impact in the church and tech space, and we took those learns to build Mavely – with the goal of empowering everyday women and brands.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

Making a decision to take the gifts and talents that have been given to me and use them as a channel of love to build others up. Living with a spirit of generosity has helped me advance my career. As well as being transparent about the fact that for me, work comes second to raising my 5 children.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

In the midst of 2020, that old saying of hindsight is 2020 couldn’t be more true. Looking back, living life with childlike curiosity and vulnerability has really helped me persevere through personal challenges. It also helped me build trust in my team, foster better relationships with customers, and ensure trust with my investors.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Maintaining my voice and standing tall in my strengths.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes, I have several mentors in various areas of life. Mentorship is huge for me as a way of giving back. I have 13 interns right now, and through Pledge 1% we are working with Technovation, assisting teen girls in STEM to build apps that change the world.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Build a business and life that you are passionate about, stay true to your North Star, run your business focussed on KPI and OKR, understand the numbers, and learn quickly how to trust your gut.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

Ensure that everyone has an equal voice across all areas of the organization. When women are using their voice and strengths, they will naturally rise to the top.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

A mission trip to Africa.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

Watts of Love brings solar lights and economic stability to the poorest regions of the world, replacing kerosene. The money they save on not buying kerosene (an extremely toxic and fire hazard) is used to purchase pigs, goats and supplies for their farms. Extra light extends their day for learning and family time.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

We joined Pledge 1% in Fall 2020. Having our entire team rally around an organization that we can impact has brought great momentum and helped us increase the spirit of giving back.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

Building experiences with my 5 children, cooking, travelling, and being active and in nature.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership and Draw The Circle.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

Meditation.