Untitled-design-19-1

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Modika Fembe Hilda, Co-Founder of SCECYDPs (Social Change and Establishment Center for Youths and Disabled Persons). I am an advocate fighting against marginalization, discrimination, violation of human rights and exploitation of persons living with disabilities. In addition to my work at SCECYDPs, I am a Global Peace Chain Ambassador, UNESCO Peace Ambassador and an African Change Maker.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I supervise the running of Social Change and Establishment Center for Youths and Disabled Persons (SCECYDPs) activities, manage the calendar, give out scholarships for vocational training to unemployed youths and disabled persons, and advocate for the rights of persons living with disabilities.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

Staying positive on my vision and avoiding people who were distractions to my personal growth and development.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Trying to get big personalities to do me a favor vs. putting me to bed is the greatest challenge I have faced as a woman.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes I do. I have mentors in my spiritual, organizational and career life. Rev Samuel Tanyi, Mr. Ngale Foretia Henry, Mr. Samir Saran, Mukete Tahle Itoe, and Manna Dabholkar.

Mentorship is very important to me because it gives me directives on how to go about my life and career from people who have had similar experiences. It is helpful to be able to understand their challenges and how they were able to overcome, as well as their greatest secrets of how to succeed in life.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Never give up on your dreams or vision because of what people say.

Always stay around people who can take you where you see your dreams in years to come. Challenges will always be there. The difference will be how you are able to manage yourself during the crisis and emerge victorious as a role model in society and mentor to others.

What women inspires you the most? Why?

Manna Dabholkar. She is an International Human Rights Advocate for children and disadvantaged families all over the globe. She has developmental programs that ensure children are prepared emotionally, mentally and physically for their future. These kids will become the future leaders of tomorrow based on what they have learned, and will be able to transform the lives of others.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? 

Purpose by Rev Samuel Tanyi. This book enables you to discover and walk with purpose and I believe everybody should read it.

What is something coming up that excites you?

My soon to be released book, Accept and Live with It.