Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

24.png

Michèle Warmbrodt

Director, Investor Relations, Appfire Technologies

📍Zürich, Switzerland

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Self-starter. I love being challenged and excel in an environment where I can take initiative and actively contribute to achieving goals. That's why I enjoy working in a growth company like Appfire so much. I work with awesome humans and can help building this amazing business that will last for generations.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

I do! As Peter Parker's Uncle Ben used to say "With great power comes great responsibility".

Companies and large organizations have the resources to accomplish exponentially more than individuals, and as a result bear the responsibility to do so. Moreover, we live in an increasingly globalized world where state legislation is reaching its limits and companies can easily source socially and environmentally questionable activities to less regulated countries.

I believe it to be a moral imperative that particularly large international organizations address their social and environmental responsibilities and act as role models.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

Yes! Be Human is our number one value at Appfire and in 2022, we have launched our community-driven Corporate Social Responsibility initiative, called Appfire Town. Appfire Town impacted 942 organizations in 2023, volunteering 4,000+ collective hours, and donating $550,000 to charitable causes. We also donate millions of dollars worth of product licenses each year to nonprofit organizations and academic institutions.

The most recent Appfire Town initiative I helped organize took place in December 2023. At the Zürich holiday party, we packed parcels containing food and hygiene product which we donated to the Swiss Red Cross for people affected by poverty. Every employee at Appfire is encouraged to organize and participate in initiatives that support social and environmental causes. Currently, a co-worker and I are organizing a blood donation campaign for our Swiss team.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

Get out of your comfort zone and just do it! At the beginning of my career, I was lucky enough to work with people who recognized my potential and believed in me. They encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone and take on new responsibilities that felt overwhelming at first.

"Get out of your comfort zone and just do it!"

When I succeeded I learned that I grow best when I am being challenged, and that helped me build the confidence I needed to proactively take ownership of my career.

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

There are many things that come to mind, but two of the most important are:

1. Increase the visibility of women in the workplace, especially in industries that are dominated by men. This can encourage other women to enter that industry and help create an equal work environment and culture. By the way, this also applies to other minorities.

2. Promote the compatibility of work and parenthood. Often the availability of childcare services is limited and many companies only offer full-time positions that do not allow employees to work and care for their children. As it is common in many cultures for mothers to bear the main responsibility for raising children, women tend to scale back their careers when their first child arrives. This not only affects the career opportunities of these women, but also leads to qualified workers leaving the labor market and companies being left without them.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

The same advice I received when I started my career: Get out of your comfort zone and just do it!

As young professionals, especially women, we tend to underestimate ourselves and therefore hold ourselves back from realizing our full potential. But let me tell you, if you work hard enough and believe in yourself, chances are you will succeed. And that holds true throughout your entire career. Apply for that job you don't think you're experienced enough for, volunteer to speak in front of your entire team, tell your manager you want to take on more responsibility. Whatever it is, just do it!

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

My resolution for this year is to submit a short story to a writing competition. I love to write but never felt brave enough to let anyone read it. This year is going to be the first time I'm opening up my writing to others and I'm so much looking forward to that experience.

1.png