cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Melynnie-Rizvi-SurveyMonkey

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Melynnie Rizvi, Director of Employment, Inclusion and Impact at SurveyMonkey.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

As an experienced employment attorney, I develop strategic partnerships with HR professionals and executives in order to advise on employment law issues both domestically and globally.

As a CSR professional, I am responsible for the development and implementation of global Corporate Social Responsibility and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion programs.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

Taking the opportunity to build a social impact and diversity, equity and inclusion strategy and program. I had never done it before when offered the opportunity.

I have learned so much and what I have learned has been an amazing compliment to the work that I do as an employment attorney.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Balancing my ambition and drive to grow and succeed while making time for myself and my family.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes, I have had mentors during my career and I have mentored others during my career. Mentorship is incredibly important. I have learned many valuable lessons from my mentors and having someone who will also champion my work has been incredibly important to my success.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Learn as much as you can about the business or industry that you work in and how what you do can add value.

It is not enough to work hard. You have to understand how what you do benefits the business that you are in.

Also, don’t be afraid to ask for what you want. The worst that can happen is someone says no.

What woman inspires you the most? Why?

My mom. She never had a career and raised me by herself and always struggled to do so. She always pushed me to have a better life than she did, to get an education and to be able to take care of myself and my family.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I am currently reading Know My Name, which is Chanel Miller’s memoir. She was the young woman who was sexually assaulted by the Stanford water polo player.

The way she tells her story of what she went through and the persecution she suffered because she came forward is so moving and impactful. It also makes me realize that we have so much more work to do in changing our mindset to support women and not judge them.

What’s something coming up that excites you?

I am excited for the continued opportunity to make an impact in our local communities and to help create a more equitable and just world for my 9-year-old son.

Originally posted: March 18, 2020