cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 #WomenWhoLead covers (Instagram Post).png

Marie Berthet

Co-Founder, Nook
📍Paris, France

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?
Food. I love cooking (and eating), and I think sharing food is the best way to link with people. I often cook pastries for my co-workers and that's a way to bring joy to the office (and motivate them to come). I always have some candy's on my desk, and when I quit my last job my co-workers offered me my favorite candy's (among many other beautiful things).

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?
It is so important to do good for businesses and that's why Nook decided to participate into Pledge 1% program. The new generation is really affected by what's happening in the world (global warming, gender equity, racism...), and showing them that their company cares about it and is involved into making things better can make a difference. They don't work only for money anymore, they need to be part of something.  As leaders, we must show the way and tell them that it is possible to change things and have a positive impact on the world.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?
We just created Nook this year, so we are still in the process of implementing the best way to give back to the community. We already identify some NGO's that we'd love to work with, and we are defining the good balance between time and money in order to fits Nook's convictions. Also as a Salesforce partner, we are really interested into using our knowledge and workforce to provide some CRM to NGO's as there is a special program for that (NonProfit Cloud).

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?
Fake it until you make it. Once you get older, you can tell that most of people are doing things without knowing 100% of it. As a women, we are often afraid to take the lead and speak up (unless we are super confident that we know everything on the subject). So the best advice is : you know a good part of the subject that is discussed ? Don't hesitate to take your part an explain what you think. Most of the people at the table don't know more than you, so you don't have to stay behind.

Once you get older, you can tell that most of people are doing things without knowing 100% of it.

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?
Women needs can be different from men needs. We can make small, really practical change, to make sure women feel good at the office. Make sure the heat is enough for women. As a study published in Nature Climate Change in 2015 shows, women needs in average 25°C to feel good instead of 22°C for men (whereas French Government recommended 19°C). We can also provide period day off, for the ones that are experiencing really painful period (and also, put some free pads in the restrooms !).

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?
Dream Big ! Make sure you are paid as much as your male colleagues, and don't hesitate to speak up, ask for a raise, ask for a promotion. Don't let anyone suggest that you won't be able to do something because you are a women. Be proud of yourself and start building your self-confidence now. Make sure your hard work pay.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?
I'm really excited into Nook's first year. I hope we will be able to sign great deals, and recruit a great team that will promote equity in any sense and will be happy to work together. And to eat some cakes, of course.

Nook_logo_colour - Marie Berthet.jpg