Lynn-Wood-with-logo_IdeaSpies

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Lynn Wood, Chief Idea Spy at IdeaSpies.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I’m the Founder of IdeaSpies, a global idea-sharing platform. Our purpose is sharing innovation to inspire action.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

Deciding to found IdeaSpies after a travel guide said, “Promote what you love rather than bash what you hate”.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

People underestimate me. However, that’s also a benefit.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

My husband is my mentor. He challenges me when I ask for advice, and supports me when I need support. I believe a mentor helps you to see options and supports you when you make decisions.

It’s easy to be confident when you’re well prepared.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Seek independence, both emotionally and financially. My mother trained me to be independent.

What women inspires you the most? Why?

Former Australian PM Hon Julia Gillard- I loved the way she encouraged Australia to stand up to global cigarette companies so we could lead the world in legislating plain paper packaging on cigarettes. More politicians should focus on the public interest. You can learn more about their initiative here.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment?

I’m currently reading about learned optimism in preparation for a webinar. I highly recommend Learned Optimism -How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin E.P. Seligman.