Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

14.png

Lachi

Recording Artist | CEO, RAMPD (Recording Artists and Music Professionals with Disabilities)

📍New York City

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Authentic - I believe that life begins when one accepts the deepest part of themself society told them to be most ashamed. I believe that true ingenuity comes when we capitalize on what makes us most unique, and I pour this truism into every aspect of my creativity, career and advocacy.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

I believe it is paramount for businesses to center inclusion, equity, diversity and accessibility. I don't believe these are "good", I believe these are necessary for a business's bottom line.

When creative minds with differing lived experiences are welcomed to the decision making table, this is when we see productivity skyrocket, revenue skyrocket, and businesses step into the lime light as ultimate problem solvers. Businesses need to support the narratives that today's culture wants to see highlighted, from sustainability, to gender and ethnic parity, to social identity issues. The market dollars have spoken and decided that inclusion and sustainability is where we want to invest.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

Yes. Our company RAMPD works to give paid opportunities, visibility and most importantly community to recording artists and music professionals with disabilities, neurodivergence and other chronic and mental health disabilities. Already this year, we've helped members of the RAMPD community attain recording gigs, appearances and keynotes at places like the GRAMMYs, the Folk Alliance International Conference and the Measure of Music Conference among other things.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

"No" is just short hand for "Not yet."

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

Women are 50% of the population, so from the mail room to the green room to the board room, we should see women workers, creators and leaders who receive equal space, time , pay and respect. But I would go further to say that true inclusion is intersectional, as no one is a single issue human.

"This means we should not only see women at all levels, but these women should be diverse in race, ethnicity, disability, neurodivergence, gender-fluidity, class, beliefs and all other diversities."

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

You deserve to take up space, be heard and be respected. Anyone that makes you feel otherwise is inconsequential.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

Apart from hitting the road using keynotes, music, humor and fashion to empower and advocate for women's issues and disability pride at festivals, conferences, colleges and cultural centers, I’ll be working on my new book, a non-fiction called "I Identify As Blind" which explores disability identity and pop culture, writing my for my upcoming album “Mad Different” which leans into discussions on our unique struggles as diverse women trying to make a name for our selves, and recording for my role as host of the PBS American Masters series "Renegades" which celebrates disabled rebels who've shaped America.

Rodrigo de Quesada-09290 - Lachi Music.JPG