cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Untitled-design-8

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Kerrin Mitchell, Chief Development Officer at Fluxx.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I am responsible for the strategic direction and development of Fluxx. My focus is on the cultivation of revenue streams, fundraising, business development and client success, while furthering the overall mission of the organization.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

I was never a 5-year plan person. While it is indeed inspirational to see that directive in folks, I opted for a less defined route. I tend to trust that each chapter will lead me to places where the sum of the parts amass into something bigger. In my career, I’ve been in finance/accounting, operations, client and even compliance roles. None of these were long-term goals of mine, yet all of those skills built an incredible and uncommon arsenal of capabilities for success at my current, and likely long-standing, role in sales leadership and business development. In that sense, the best decision I’ve made is to honor those learnings at each step as they are all immeasurably useful down the line.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

You are in charge of your own well-being and need to go to the mattresses for YOU. Know your worth, fight for it and do not settle. Remember that you are needed and valued. Your role, stake and leadership in your company should reflect that. I believe that women have strength in creating a belonging culture; however at times, this can get in the way of acting independently and autonomously to ensure that value is recognized and rewarded.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

I do not have a formal mentor, but I do have a few informal ones that I call upon as my personal “board” of friends and colleagues. I look at that cohort as not only mentors for work, but for my personal well-being as well. In that sense, I open the aperture of mentorship from a career lens to a life lens.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Know your superpower. You can read a million books to offer roadmaps on behaviors and approaches. Yes, some have value and can be empowering. However, the writer has a different skill set, personality and approach than you, so please don’t take those recipes verbatim and try to replicate it.

Authenticity is the thing that people gravitate towards naturally. That is what makes you successful in navigating your organization and career. By respecting your lens and your journey, you will find more meaning, joy and gravity in each step. You will be a better manager, leader and person as a result.

What woman inspires you the most? Why?

Ruth Bader Ginsberg. On the Federal Bench for over 25 years, RBG passed the most important legislation for human rights. Her work was a generation in the making and each step she took was an important pillar to build the future that she envisioned. I look to her as a warrior. She never blames her circumstances for a lack of performance or commitment. She remains unwavering in purpose, character, integrity and independence.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? How long have you been working on your impact program?

Fluxx is a mission-driven company. While we value and emphasize diversity, we have one fundamental thing in common, our commitment to giving back. I am proud of the fact that our entire team gives back to their respective communities individually, while as a company we come together to support our local nonprofits. These values are part of what made joining Pledge 1% such a no-brainer. We joined this incredible cohort in 2018. For us, Pledge 1% is a constant reminder to go above and beyond.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Count Rostov is a truly wonderful character who reminded me what grace, positivity and good manners can do. It was so beautifully written.

What’s something coming up that excites you?

In no particular order, emergent philanthropy trends, Mars exploration, and the 2020 elections.

Originally posted: March 12, 2020