cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

WWL-Katina Washington.png

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Katina Washington, President/CEO at the SHE. Event Indy.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I am a Black owned women business coach/executor. I assist women business owners with taking their concept from conception to execution.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

I am all about empowering and encouraging women to dream big. Every day I am focused on "she." SHE stands for She Has Everything because I believe that women should feel empowered to start their own businesses and create jobs, because our community depends on it.

In January, I received the distinguished Jefferson Award for Multiplying Good. Through our events and marketplace, we've empowered over 90 percent of vendors to create their own products and services, as well as given scholarships to youth.

In your opinion, what's the #1 decision or move you've made that has helped advance your career?

During Covid, I created SHE. Marketplace to host many black women owned businesses to be able to continue to showcase their products and services when we are unable to do in person events.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

How to pivot!

What's the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Funding and resources to propel the SHE. Event. We have proven measurable outcomes and have proven to be a credible fiscal steward for over 8 years.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes, I do! I just gained 2 mentors and we have monthly meetings. One of my mentors is an owner of La Z boy.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Reciprocity. Practice reciprocity. Always think of how both parties can benefit when approaching others with business deals/meetings/etc.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

A dollar earned in the black community only stays in the black community for an average of six hours. The purpose of the SHE. Event is to extend the length of time that dollar is circulated through the community where it is earned. The SHE. Event accomplishes this by providing artists, entrepreneurs, and small business owners with a rigorous training program on business operations and an online platform to reach consumers/the community. By providing these resources, the SHE. Event increases economic development and financial stability for both the larger communities and families of the students.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

Through our program S.H.E.Creates, we train women in primarily underserved communities (including Empowerment Zones) on owning their own businesses and manufacturing their own products. We use a cohort style of training to allow participants to collaborate and learn from one another. Aside from learning the basics of business, participants will also learn conflict management, financial literacy, and how to produce handmade products and labeling. We also provide tools such as how to register their business, increase their social media presence and connect them with suppliers and resources to produce their products/services. We've also partnered with seasoned entrepreneurs who have operated a successful business within the same area to mentor our participants. I hope that our graduates can utilize these resources and grow their business by selling their products/services at the S.H.E. Event Marketplace.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

Women empowerment. I believe that we are only able to address the economic, health, and safety risks caused by the coronavirus pandemic through entrepreneurship and innovation directed towards underserved individuals who can start their own businesses and become economically empowered. I created the S.H.E. Event Market Place to provide platforms and other opportunities for women-owned businesses and vendors to showcase their goods, products, and services by leveraging technology and e-commerce.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

Our company joined Pledge 1% last year. Because of the pandemic, we were working very hard to keep our business afloat (and we did). Our goal for 2021 is to get more involved as we love your mission.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

I create accessories. I am an artist at heart. I also promote and browse social media telling others about products I purchased from the marketplace.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I listen to Gary V often. I also listen to meditation music. I meditate daily.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

I have learned a whole new meaning to "Eat the meat, and throw away the bones." Covid taught me how to pivot, manage my time better, my true value, and how to use my human capital until I am able to get access to investors.