cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 12.34.25 PM.png

Kathleen Egan

CEO & Co-Founder, Ecomedes

San Francisco, CA

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences.

I'm the CEO which includes obsessing over driving value to our customers, growing an amazing team, and managing our HR/finances/funding. I am a passionate advocate for a sustainable future where impact-aware B2B purchase power helps save the planet.

This year's International Women's Day theme is "Embrace Equity." What does this mean to you? How can we build workplaces that are more equitable and inclusive?

Equity means that everyone is heard. Different team members have different ways of communicating and different topics where they are more comfortable sharing. It is my job to be sure that every person on our team has a forum to be heard and feels that their input is important, and that they are important. Equity also means fairness when it comes to compensation, promotion, assignments, and any other decision.

We can build more equitable and inclusive workplaces by 1) realize that it takes a diverse team to win. 2) embrace differences as competitive advantage and abandon assumptions about the look/color/gender/age for a role. 3) listen as much as possible. 4) don't be afraid to fail, keep improving.

Do you have any mentors or role models who have helped you on your personal journey?

Yvon Chouinard is one of my all time favorite founders and CEOs. His philosophy changed both apparel and the conservation. And he had a lot of fun doing it. One of my early bosses, Bruce was a critical influencer on me and continues to be a source of advice. I also have two investors who are very important mentors and coaches. I'm constantly on the hunt to add a new mentor or to be a mentor.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

Don't let a win go to your head or let a loss get to your heart.

The past few years have brought many new and unprecedented challenges. What keeps you motivated or inspires you to stay optimistic?

Our work for a sustainable future and our team keep me motivated!

Pledge 1% helps companies of all sizes and stages leverage their assets for social good. Why do you think it's important that companies prioritize social impact? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

From my perspective, the days of mono-focus on profit are over. Every business needs to grow in a way that enriches people, planet, and profit for the long term. This is not universally accepted yet but regulations and stakeholders are moving it in the right direction.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Direct - I like to cut to the chase.

Do you have any unique or useful life hacks to help get through your day?

FUN - I try to keep it fun and my adorable husband and 8-year-old son help a lot! If I can get a break in the day to get in the water and surf or get into the woods to ski, it is a good day! The shift from laptop and zoom to the natural world helps to reset my brain and increase productivity.

Do you have any go-to apps or tools use love to use?

Apple Podcasts - there is so much amazing info out there. I always listen to these when I'm working out or biking home from dropping off JJ at school.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

First - I'm very excited for our next stage of growth. We passed $2M in ARR which is a huge milestone for our team. I'm excited to add some capacity to the team (and me) becuase we have been very capitally efficient but now it's time to grow!

Second - I'm excited for a big family trip to AK! This was a bucket list trip for my Mom and Dad.  My Dad passed away so my mom is taking 14 of us on a 2 week trip to Denali and cruise to see ocean wild life.