Kara-Goldin

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Kara Goldin, Founder and CEO of Hint, Inc.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I disrupted the beverage industry with a delicious, purpose-driven brand that helps people lead healthier lives without compromising on enjoyment.

Hint continues to drive growth and gain market share in retail, DTC and Food Service. From the #1 flavored water without sugar, diet sweeteners or preservatives, to a cult-favorite SPF 30 oxybenzone and paraben-free sunscreen, to our brand new plant-based and aluminum-free deodorant, I’m always thinking of ways to solve problems with healthier-for-you solutions.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

Trusting my gut and investing in myself. When we started Hint, I was solving a problem and realized I could extrapolate the solution to help everyone.

I feel strongly that a purpose-driven company with an authentic story will resonate best with consumers; and therefore, experience a natural accelerated growth trajectory. It all started with word of mouth from my family, friends and wonderful supporters in the corporate world. Hint has been called the “unofficial drink of Silicon Valley” since the early days, due to the amount consumed at major tech companies like Google, Facebook, Uber, Instagram, Yelp, Hulu and Spotify.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

When I first went to the experts, people constantly told me that what I wanted to do (create a great tasting, unsweetened flavored water with no sugar, diet sweeteners or preservatives) was impossible. One executive even said, “Sweetie, people like sweet.”

It was a challenge, but ultimately it forced me to challenge them right back and go where no one else had been. It made me an innovator, a disruptor and an unexpected competitor.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

I do have mentors. Most of them are from other industries. Their experience and wisdom is precious to me.

I truly value mentorship, which is why I started The Kara Network. The Kara Network is a mentoring platform to help other entrepreneurs. I also have a podcast called Unstoppable, where I interview other disruptors across a variety of industries.

I believe that hearing fellow entrepreneurs’ stories and providing helpful insights can help other people who are interested in similar endeavors.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

You can do anything if you set your mind to it. If you have an idea that excites you, solves a problem and can change people’s lives, go for it!

Turn nos into yeses and the impossible into a recipe for success.

Follow your passion, work hard and don’t give up. Tap into your curiosity and discovery. Don’t just accept what you see. Remember it’s a journey and it may not happen overnight. However, when it does, it will be very rewarding.

What woman inspires you the most? Why?

Ruth Bader Ginsberg! She paved a path for all of us and she continues to fight for what’s right with grace and grit. She’s an icon; a truly evolved woman who inspires me all the time!

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

Scott Galloway’s Section 4 Podcast. It’s very funny as Scott has a dry sense of humor, but it is also super educational. He really does the homework!

What’s something coming up that excites you?

My first book, Undaunted, will be coming out this fall with Harper Leadership. I’m hopeful that what I share will help others get “undaunted” and move past their fears toward a journey of success. It’s another way of paying it forward.