cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

WWL 2022 - Headshots.png

Jessamine Chin

Sr. Director Social Innovation, ESG Office, VMware

San Francisco, CA, USA

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences. 

As Senior Director of Social Innovation in VMware’s Environmental, Social, Governance (ESG) Office, Jessamine drives social impact strategy that progresses towards a more sustainable, equitable and secure digital future for all.

What’s the best part of your job? What do you enjoy the most?

Over the past 10 years at VMware, I've had the opportunity to imagine and build initiatives that serve VMware's stakeholders from employees to customers to the broader community. Not a single day has been the same and I am continually learning and growing in the process.

We’ve all faced personal and professional challenges these past two years - what motivates you to keep going?

These past two years have brought many challenges, especially with a family with small children - and what keeps me going is both them and the recognition that I and my family has much to be grateful for.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received? 

Create your own door. 

What does generosity mean to you?

Generosity means recognizing where one has abundance in their life and sharing it with others.

How do you feel businesses can play a larger role in solving today’s biggest challenges? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share? 

Today's biggest challenges are systemic and require action from all stakeholders, especially business. I believe that when a company takes into account environmental and social factors into their business strategy, it creates more long-term and sustainable value. For example, at VMware, sustainability has long been inherent in our technology solutions. As companies virtualize their digital operations, they benefit from lower costs, increased flexibility, and more resilience—but also a reduced carbon footprint. VMware has helped its customers avoid more than 1.2 billion metric tons of carbon emissions to date. (“Enabling More Agile & Sustainable Business through Carbon-Efficient Digital Transformations,” Augus... ). We know the world needs more - and as VMware drives towards the outcome of a more sustained digital future, we are further integrating efficiency and decarbonization into the products and services we create.

CP Shirt - Jessamine Chin.jpg

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Compassionate perseverance (I know, it's two words!). I value how things are done and the intention behind them; it's about taking into account the needs of others while striving towards a difficult or sustained goal.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about? 

I'm currently in the Aspen Institute's First Mover's Fellowship program - each fellow is focused on a project with both business benefit and positive societal impact. My project is focused on the intersection of building people's digital capabilities and product sustainability as a unique talent differentiator. I have been reinvigorated both personally and professionally by the Fellowship, especially by how it's refreshed my own capabilities in addressing new challenges.