cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 8.22.19 PM.png

Jennifer Devening

Founder and CEO, YourHealth

Austin, Texas USA

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences.

Besides overall management of YourHealth, I am an active Cancer Curator. I spend time talking with newly diagnosed breast cancer patients. I arm them with knowledge based on my 10-year battle, what I have learned from others who came before, and how to get through this life-changing event.

This year's International Women's Day theme is "Embrace Equity." What does this mean to you? How can we build workplaces that are more equitable and inclusive?

Through my company YourHealth we embrace this every day by giving people, not just women, the ability to control and summarize their most critical health needs before an emergency happens. Our platform is consented based and you decide who to share your health information with. You are in control regardless of race or color, consumer, employee, or medical professional. Workplaces need to focus on better tools to make healthcare easier to manage.

Do you have any mentors or role models who have helped you on your personal journey?

Yes, my co-founder. He was a long-time mentor and advisor to me throughout my career in Silicon Valley and Austin. He was my litmus test for starting YourHealth. If I could convince him of my idea, I wouldn't have started YourHealth.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

Two things. In business, subscribe to the rule of 3. Always have an a, b, and c plan ready and pay that forward to your teams. Secondly, appreciate good health and find joy for yourself every day.

The past few years have brought many new and unprecedented challenges. What keeps you motivated or inspires you to stay optimistic?

That I am here 10 years later after being diagnosed with a chronic disease. As the rapper Pitbull says, "Every day above ground is a good day". My passion is for changing healthcare so people/patients have control over their own health and wellness information. After all, isn't healthcare supposed to be about the patient first?

Pledge 1% helps companies of all sizes and stages leverage their assets for social good. Why do you think it's important that companies prioritize social impact? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

Good health is not a given and from a young age we need to be taught how to keep and nurture it better. My inspiration for YourHealth came out of the untenable shock of how hard it is for any type of patient to consolidate medical records, medications, scans, etc. In any digital manner so that is with you 24/7 and when you need it the most. Healthcare is antiqued on every level.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Tenacious.

Do you have any unique or useful life hacks to help get through your day?

The minute I think of something I have to get down, I write it down on Evernote. It is available to me digitally 24/7 and on all my devices. It keeps me on track and I am less likely to forget a detail.

Do you have any go-to apps or tools use love to use?

Yes. Evernote and Trello. Evernote keeps me organized and on task with my life, personally and professionally and Trello helps my colleagues and I navigate tasks from start to finish for all disciplines.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

Yes. Grow my company and get YourHealth in the hands of as many people as I can, regardless of socio-economic status. Our first subscription is free to all. I want to be known for giving people control over their own health data, not providers or payers.