Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

32.png

Jen Bayford

Co-founder, Growth Animals Marketing | B Corp Certified

📍West Sussex, UK

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Best-friend (or is that two words?!) - we are often described by our clients as their best friends, allies and confidents, for example, at one client, the marketing manager, said "Working with Jen is invaluable and an absolute pleasure. Jen works with you to agree a solid strategy and provides unwavering support. She genuinely feels like a member of the team!"

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

100% as environmental and social impact are becoming hygiene factors as customers are becoming more and more discerning as to the brands they align with

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

Yes we do - our main 'giving back' activity is we volunteer regularly. For example, instead of throwing a birthday party for Growth Animals last year, the team spent the day volunteering for Together Co., a loneliness charity based in Sussex, spending quality time with the people in the community they support. And we frequently take on pro-bono projects for causes, where an organization would benefit from our marketing strategy workshop - a fun, time efficient way of adding real value to charities and not-for-profits and a chance for our team to all be involved and get the creativity flowing.

Last year we ran a pro-bono workshop and a short, follow-up brand project for a charity called The Sweater Project, that generates income for families in Afghanistan and helps the poorest children to survive.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

In her book The Source, Dr Tara Swart quoted Henry Ford “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” which has stuck with me.

I'm careful what I tell myself, as my brain is listening!

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

OMG don't get me started. The cost of childcare is beyond ridiculous, and although the responsibility of childcare more commonly falls onto women, we know this isn't exclusively a gender specific issue, so organizations must be flexible with their working practices for all - it grates on me when those 'at the top' with nannies or no parental responsibility make the calls as to the WFH or flexible working policies and it's so archaic. There are millions of bloody talented people out there who would be adding so much value to organizations if only they were treated as grown ups and given flexibility to work and parent, not choose between the two.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

My personal experience of my early career, that unfortunately shaped me until only the last few years, was that I was a 'Stepford brand manager'. I tried to fit into a mold, to please, to follow the line, to do as I was told and I took on, what in retrospect was, subjective feedback. I wasn't aware of my strengths to dial up, I just bent myself out of shape, dulling down my creativity, my confidence to 'fit' and do things as they'd always been done.

At Growth Animals, we want our team, at all levels, to challenge us and each other in order to bring fresh perspectives and to grow, learn and improve together. This ability, together with resourcefulness, is how we hire!

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

Having proudly achieved B Corp certification last year, we are excited to continue to grow our environmental and social impact through our business and the work we do with clients. We will continue to underpin the plans we craft, the brands we build and the growth we deliver for our customers with our responsible and sustainable marketing values.

A personal development goal for me for 2024 include studying Sustainable Marketing through the Chartered Institute of Marketing. And in my plans this year is to share our bread and butter experience of marketing and brand strategy with more client side marketers. So I will releasing bite-sized marketing strategy content to inspire in-house marketers to think strategically about their marketing efforts, and Chris and I are taking Growth Animals on tour, attending events around the country to pass on our knowledge and experience to the marketing industry.

Copy of GA_Logo_Horizontal_Blue-On-White_RGB - Jen Bayford.jpg