cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Maui Prep Academy Distribution Hub - Sandra Schustack.png

This story was submitted by Candor Threads. 

After the devastating August 2023 Maui fires, communities were left grappling with the destruction and loss that the natural disaster had brought upon their lives. Among the countless stories of resilience and hope, one in particular stood out.

We received an email from Miguel Solice, the head of Maui Preparatory Academy. He had a simple request – custom Hawaiian shirts for his school’s teachers and staff to lift their spirits after the chaos and sadness of the Lahaina fires. His words painted a vivid picture of the challenges faced by their community. Miguel shared, “We’re the only school fully functioning on the west side. On the night of the fires in Lahaina, our school became a shelter. It’s hard to grasp what we’re dealing with here, and I think much of the world doesn’t really understand what’s happening.”

Maui Prep Hawaiian Shirt Design - Sandra Schustack (1).png

Miguel’s aim was to bring back a sense of normalcy for his students and families. Without a second thought, we knew we had to help. The next day, we contacted Miguel to let him know we’d be happy to donate the shirts. His response was overwhelming: “Wow! I cannot state how wonderful this is for our school. We will all love them so much. I’m sending a great deal of love and Aloha from my school to yours.” Miguel was ecstatic, and so were we!

Within 24 hours, our team created designs using their school colors and logo. Miguel approved designs and we headed right into production. Eight weeks later, the shirts arrived at the school, ready to serve as symbols of hope, togetherness, and resilience.

Recently, we received a heartfelt email from Miguel expressing his gratitude. He told us the shirts were a huge hit! The teachers and staff proudly wore them for re-enrollment and the parents and students loved them. It was a special day for sure.

Making an impact is at the core of our values. When we do make a difference, there’s no feeling quite like it. As the shirts become a part of the school uniform, we’re certain they’ll serve as a source of joy and unity, reminding everyone that even in the darkest moments, a community’s collective strength can pave the way for a brighter future.