Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Hayley Rubins-Topoleski, Chief Accounting Officer at Addteq.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

Manage the accounting and HR departments at Addteq.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

I was recruited for the Financial Analyst position in 2016, and was promoted several times as Addteq grew.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

Remain valuable to the company and you’ll always be needed.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

In the past year, I have learned the importance of interpersonal relationships within a company and the need for work life balance.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Overcoming societies expectations of women.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Be confident. Even if imposter syndrome is knocking at the door, fake it until you make it.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

Offer flexible work schedules.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

Schedule an appointment to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

There are many causes that I advocate for, however social justice has been at the top of my list the past few years. I am a strong proponent of reproductive rights, and rights for the LGBTQ community. Lately, I have added racial equality to my top causes and tried to educate myself with further DE&I training. I have always been someone who signed petitions for causes I cared about. However, after the 2016 election, I felt that I needed to do more. I started volunteering with a local Planned Parenthood Action Committee, which is how I discovered Princeton’s first pride parade in 2019. I then became more involved with the non-profit that organized the pride event, the Bayard Rustin Center for Social Justice.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

I believe Addteq joined Pledge 1% in 2016. Their impact program is refreshing since I spend a lot of my time advocating for social justice in my local community. It has helped me broaden my focus.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

In addition to social justice advocacy, I am heavily involved in local community theater. I am on the board of several non-profits, and enjoy performing on stage. I also host a monthly (virtual) open (& out) mic night with the Bayard Rustin Center for Social Justice.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

The last book I finished reading was “The Black Friend: On Being A Better White Person” by Frederick Joseph. Prior to that I read “White Fragility” by Robin DeAngelo, which really struck a chord with me. I also enjoyed the TedTalk by Kimberle Crenhaw on Intersectionality.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

Always have a steady supply of clean sweatpants to get you through the workweek. Also, ensure you have a separate space in your home to complete your work.