Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Diz Petit, Head of Civic Labs (Social Impact) at Postmates.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

Civic Labs mission is to positively impact our neighborhoods through community engagement and innovative technology solutions to combat complex, pervasive issues.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

After joining Postmates in 2013, I worked to build the customer service team from the ground up, launching new Postmates markets in Seattle, New York, DC, and Chicago, co-building the sales team, opening up a new stream of revenue for the company through the Postmates Partner program, and standing up a new 900+ employee Customer Service, Sales, and Operations office in Nashville, TN. In the summer of 2017, I created the Civic Labs team, Postmates’ social responsibility arm.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

The definition of Toxic Positivity. Kendra Cherry defines it as this – “Toxic positivity is the belief that no matter how dire or difficult a situation is, people should maintain a positive mindset. It’s a good vibes only approach to life. While there are benefits to being an optimist and engaging in positive thinking, toxic positivity instead rejects difficult emotions in favor of a cheerful, often falsely positive, facade.”

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Wow, just one? It changes depending on the situation, company, colleagues, etc. Overall, I feel that my credentials are scrutinized more than men. I find that I usually have to offer more examples of my work and it’s impact than my male colleagues.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Gabriella Wong from AccesSOS! We were connected via FastForward for a mentoring program and just totally hit it off. She is doing amazing things in the text-to-911 space as a tech nonprofit. I value her input, insight, and experience so much. She’s always just an email away to listen to my quandary of questions. Hopefully it’s a two way street, but I’m not sure it totally is.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Prepare for your interviews and meetings with concrete facts that you have memorized. A lot of companies want someone who is “data-driven” and being able to put numbers down in a first interaction will help establish credibility. Yes, you shouldn’t have to do that, but it is my advice.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

Hire more women and promote more women! It’s not that hard. If you don’t have at least one woman at the table where decisions are being made, what are you doing? It’s 2021.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

Graduating from Saybrook University with my MBA in Sustainable Social Impact!

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

Right now I have been volunteering with Muttville, Rogers and Rosewater, and Berkeley Humane. I am a life-long animal rights advocate which will never change, but currently homelessness and saving dogs and cats are where I’m spending most of my time.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

I think Postmates joined in 2017 when we formed Civic Labs! This impact program has meant the world to me. Looking back on all the things that we have done and built to change hearts and minds – I am forever grateful to Postmates for the opportunity.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

Foster dogs! Read! Grad School! Apply to Y Combinator! Beat Saber on the Oculus 2! Learn Japanese! Play guitar and sing in my band, Plush Palace!

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I just finished reading Why Zebra Don’t Get Ulcers. My favorite book right now is Systemic Racism by Ian Haney Lopez and my favorite non-true crime podcast is the Ezra Klein Show.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

Remote work is challenging when it’s forced. It used to be a little treat when you would work from home, but I am craving the feeling of the marker dragging across the giant whiteboard in front of a room of people during a massive brainstorm session.