cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 9.31.08 PM.png

Claire Revell

CEO, Intellek

Devon, UK

This year's International Women's Day theme is "Embrace Equity." What does this mean to you? How can we build workplaces that are more equitable and inclusive?

Understanding bias and building awareness is a big first step towards making real change. We need to build diverse teams in the workplace represented by different cultures, genders, different upbringings and educational backgrounds. There is still a lack of mentors, role models, for young women to look up to in the tech industry. If all of the leadership roles within tech, or any other industry, are filled by men, then women will feel no encouragement or support to aim higher than what is expected of them. Equal opportunities, equal pay and more support for women who want a family AND a career. We shouldn’t have to choose. Women need to feel empowered, they need to be heard, and a strong support network is crucial. I strongly believe that a diverse team is a strong team. I encourage everyone in my team to share their experiences, knowledge, and ideas from their first day of joining the company.

Do you have any mentors or role models who have helped you on your personal journey?

I think that you learn from everyone you meet, whether it's something positive that influences you or whether it makes you question their approach and how you can perhaps be better or do things differently. My mum taught me the importance of being kind, loving and having it in my heart to forgive. My Auntie Sarah taught me to be fearless and to never give up. My mentor in South Africa, Dawn Leppan who is the founder of our charity partner 1000 Hills, taught me how to pay it forward and how to navigate change. My husband is always there to listen and provide advice, and supports me chasing my dreams so in a way he's a mentor. My Dad and step-dad taught me to never settle and to never let self-limiting beliefs of others hold me back. To name a few very well-known women, who are not only strong leaders but are also avid philanthropists, who I also see as role models include Melinda French Gates, Amal Clooney, Eva Longoria and Michelle Obama. All of these people have impacted my personal journey in one way or another, so I see them all as mentors.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

Say yes, even if you don't know how you're going to do it. You can figure that out later. Don't ever miss out on an opportunity because you're unsure, you don't know where it might take you.

The past few years have brought many new and unprecedented challenges. What keeps you motivated or inspires you to stay optimistic?

My passion, knowing I can make a difference, is what keeps me motivated and keeps me fighting through those challenging days. I'm striving to navigate a change, close knowledge gaps and opening doors to new opportunities in everything I do. It doesn't always have to be a big change. Sometimes you can do things that impact just one or two people, but the knock on impact of that could be much bigger.

Pledge 1% helps companies of all sizes and stages leverage their assets for social good. Why do you think it's important that companies prioritize social impact? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

Why? Because it's the right thing to do. One person can make a difference, they can slowly move the needle in the right direction, but a company with 10 employees or 10,000 employees can have a much bigger impact. Today, a percentage of each purchase goes directly from Intellek to children in South Africa, helping to ensure every child gets access to education and a safe environment. Technology has enabled us to reach every corner of the globe and provide the sort of education and opportunities that will improve the world and boost its economy. When I give the team a Christmas bonus they also get the opportunity to donate a set amount to a charity of their choice. It doesn't have to be thousands of pounds, a small amount from more businesses would make the world a better place. Not only is it the right thing to do, and for those business owners focusing on their bottom line, there are business benefits too. Customers and employees expect more nowadays from companies, and prioritizing social impact can help with attracting new customers and the best talent.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Determined - Whether that's in personal or business life. Determined to solve a problem, determined to navigate change, determined to help someone thrive.

Do you have any unique or useful life hacks to help get through your day?

I'm not religious or spiritual, I do believe in manifestations though. Tell yourself you want to be happy, tell yourself you want to be the best version of yourself today and it's surprising the impact that can have.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

Intellek has a plethora of big projects this year and I'm looking forward to them all. We're making some big moves to disrupt the industry. It's also my 20th year in business this August, and I'll be 40 in February 2024, so my team and I are currently making plans with 1000 Hills Community Helpers, in Inchanga South Africa, to build a new classroom and potentially a safe house too. I'm so excited and I'm thrilled some of my team will get to be a part of this experience too.