Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Chekesha Van Putten, Founder & CEO at Castango.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I am the Founder and CEO of Castango.com, an online job marketplace connecting talent with jobs nationwide.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

I spent the early part of my career working in front of the camera as a professional spokesmodel, actress and dancer appearing in movies such as Austin Powers, American Beauty and Batman & Robin. I was also in commercial campaigns for Pepsi, Ross, Taco Bell and a Los Angeles Laker girl and choreographer for 2 years. Based on my experience in the industry, I saw how technology could streamline the casting process. I built Castango to create greater accessibility and more opportunities for talent to find work online nationwide.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

Moving to Las Vegas was the greatest decision I made to advance my career. Originally from Los Angeles California, the move to Nevada brought with it great opportunity. I graduated from the Score Institute for Entrepreneurs through the Small Business Association where I found mentors to help me get started. Tony Hsieh, the late founder of Zappos, was also investing and developing the downtown area to attract the tech community at the time. I was able to gain access to resources that helped me build out my team and platform.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

Creativity is the mother of invention. I also learned that staying in tune with what is going on in the world and providing a solution is essential. Being a tech based company, we have always been focused on the future of work. However, this year we accelerated our mission and learned that you must pivot when necessary.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Raising capital is definitely a challenge as a woman in the tech industry. Sadly only 3% of women receive venture capital funding. This number is even lower for women of color. It is still an uphill battle, but we are making great strides as more female focused funds are coming into play and women are taking on leadership roles.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

I would not be where I am today without the many mentors in my life. As a young professional, I remember being afraid to ask for help. I made a commitment to surround myself with people who had experience and were willing to help advise me this time around. Two minds are better than one, and I am grateful for the many people that have helped get me to where I am today.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

There is so much pressure early in your career to figure things out and reach your goals. It’s important to remember that it’s the journey not the destination, and that you have time! If you are always focused on the future, you will miss the moment and that is where greatness is built. One day, one relationship, one milestone at a time.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

The first step is for companies to realize the inequities that exist and evaluate where they are and where they want to be. From there, they can make a commitment to diversify and level the playing field.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

In the next year, I hope to build more brand partnerships and further expand our marketplace to create more job opportunities for women and people of color.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

I currently sit on the Board of the Junior League of Las Vegas, which is an organization that promotes volunteerism, and develops the potential of women while improving the community. I wanted to find a way to give back to my community on a consistent basis. The Junior League has allowed me to not only do meaningful work with a variety of local non-profits, but also develop leadership skills to continue to grow as a leader in my community.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

Outside of the office, I love to dance, cook, hike the red rock mountains and travel.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I am obsessed with Podcasts from Wait What Productions including Masters of Scale and most recently Meditative Story. It’s inspirational hearing the stories of other people overcoming challenges and finding success.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

One of the most important things that I do to manage remote work is to get fresh air. When you are bound to your home & computer, going outside is a luxury. Whether it’s a brisk walk in the morning, afternoon run, or weekend hike, getting fresh air and oxygen in your lungs is a great way to manage this new lifestyle.