Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Caitlyn Child, Sr. Director of Sales at Fireclay Tile.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I develop and implement the sales strategy for our organization to help us dominate the high end tile market. I also drive sales and growth, to help create opportunities for personal and professional development within our team.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

I studied art and architecture at the University of Oregon and spent the first years out of college working multiple jobs in art museums and running a volunteer program through Americorps. This lead me into a decade long career creating meaningful development plans and spearheading advocacy groups for adults with developmental disabilities. I went back to school to focus on Universal Design – blending my passion for architecture and design with social justice causes.

While learning more about the industry, I discovered a company that was equally passionate about social justice causes and was introduced to the world of sales. I started at Fireclay Tile as a sales rep and quickly moved into management. In that role, I grew our commercial channel and eventually took on a sales strategy role.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

For me, being willing to jump in to an organization big or small and learn every aspect has been critical. Also, being willing to open myself up to experiences outside of my job description – whether changing lightbulbs, mentoring team members from other departments, or taking on special projects.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

Take and encourage time off, even if you feel like you don’t “deserve it” while already working modified hours. Mental health is critical during this time. It is important to check in and give yourself time for respite. When you have a team who has limited hours to work while juggling parenting, care providing, personal obligations and work, it is vital to identify the most critical functions and how to make those most successful. The best thing you can do as a leader is adapt.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Understanding that you can be a badass leader in your industry while setting boundaries around work life balance. It is important to set the tone and lead by example for your team and peers.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

My greatest mentor is Sarah Noack, Brokerage Director at UCP Connections. She embodies all the qualities of a great mentor. For me, that means someone who sees the value you add to the table even if you haven’t discovered it yet. The most beneficial thing mentors can do is to listen to your objectives and help you develop them further by sharing resources and experiences. They need to be bright and open – not only sharing their wins, but also their learned opportunities.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Be willing to lean into what you don’t know, rather than remaining dependent on what you do know.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

A leadership team should always learn from their teammates who are in entry to mid-level positions. These employees are innovating approaches in their job functions. Creating mentorship and cross training opportunities is also key. Forget about what is on someone’s resume and past experiences, and focus on their ability to take ownership of their actions and be personally invested in your company.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

Next year, I have a very aggressive goal to double our business. However, the task I am most excited to accomplish is identifying opportunities of growth and development for my growing organization.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

The Oregon Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence is a great advocacy group fighting the sex trafficking industry. Over my decade long career as a social worker, I served many vulnerable populations that were being targeted and experienced abuse. Having support and resources is critical to help save lives.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

Fireclay Tile has always been focused on opening our industry’s eyes around how much waste is created in the building industry. Our Founder, Paul Burns, used to dumpster dive to find recyclable packing materials. We were finally able to achieve our B-Corp status in 2015; and in 2017 we relaunched our glazed brick collection pledging to give back 1% to conservation efforts for National Parks. We continue to find ways we can do more – not just for different sustainability initiatives, but also social justice causes that are important to our team members.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

I love botany and learning about different ecology systems. I am part of the Oregon Native Plant Society and am currently transforming my yard into a bee paradise.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I just finished Entangled Life by Merlin Sheldrake. It speaks to the world of fungi and how interconnected it is with our ecology. It is definitely one of those books that you can’t wait to put on your sweats and get back into.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

As my team has adapted to remote work, we have become very efficient. It has been super important for me to pick up the phone and call people and not get left behind the Zoom screen. It is also important to keep that sense of connectedness – it is easy to fall into your own silo while working remote. Take the time to check in with folks. I guarantee you will discover you need it too!