cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 5.05.46 PM.png

Anita Motwani

COO, Sarla Ventures (Nidra).

San Francisco, CA

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences.

I run this e-commerce business that my sister started in 2014. I am in charge of all pieces of the business that we currently run on Amazon and Shopify.

This year's International Women's Day theme is "Embrace Equity." What does this mean to you? How can we build workplaces that are more equitable and inclusive?

It means the world to me! I am a minority woman who lived through Wall Street in the 90s! Ha! Not many people looked like me on the trading floor. I have been through more situations in the workplace due to my race and sex that I care to remember. My company is joining a Minority Economic Development Council as we are female/minority led and proud of it!

Do you have any mentors or role models who have helped you on your personal journey?

My mother. She is STILL the CEO Of her biotech company at the age of 82. She is an immigrant from India, came to the US with about $15 in her pocket. She is the epitome of the American Dream in my eyes. She remains fierce and we are convinced she will live to 120!

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

Stay on your path, stay in your light (in other words, stay out of the drama, keep moving forward, never let them get you down!)

The past few years have brought many new and unprecedented challenges. What keeps you motivated or inspires you to stay optimistic?

My children. I have 2 daughters and 1 stepson. They inspire me every single day!

Pledge 1% helps companies of all sizes and stages leverage their assets for social good. Why do you think it's important that companies prioritize social impact? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

My sister Mona who started this company (and unfortunately passed away in August of 2021) spent her life giving back. Those of us who are carrying the torch for her will make sure that a certain percentage of our sales go to social good, so we are so happy to be a part of Pledge 1%. Mona was an attorney for underserved populations and helped represent them in cases like the mortgage crisis when they were being taken advantage of. Mona also had severe Lyme disease and was a great contributor to that community in terms of knowledge, helping people with insurance, etc.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Badass! I am a single mom of 2 young women, a rock climber, and in general someone who gets shit done!

Do you have any unique or useful life hacks to help get through your day?

Meditate every morning, exercise at least 5 days a week, do something every day for yourself!

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

I look forward to building the company my sister started into a brand and educating the world on the absolute incredible benefits of sleep!