Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

23.png

Aniekeme Patience Bassey

Growth Marketing Manager, Orokii

📍Lagos, Nigeria

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Resilient. There was a time in my life when I faced significant challenges, both personally and professionally. Despite the obstacles, I refused to give up. Instead, I persevered, adapting to each setback with determination and resolve.

Whether it was navigating through tough times in my career or overcoming personal hardships, my resilience allowed me to keep pushing forward. This quality not only helped me weather the storms but also taught me valuable lessons about strength, perseverance, and the power of resilience in the face of adversity.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

Today's corporate leaders hold significant influence over societal well-being. Prioritizing social impact isn't just noble; it's essential for fostering a sustainable future. By aligning business strategies with societal needs, leaders can inspire purpose, attract top talent, and build stronger relationships with customers who value ethical practices.

Integrating social impact initiatives isn't just about doing good; it's about ensuring long-term success and relevance in an increasingly conscientious market. It's about creating a legacy of positive change that extends far beyond profit margins.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

Absolutely, giving back to the community is a fundamental aspect of both my team's and my personal ethos. At our company, we've implemented initiatives to support the community, ranging from volunteer programs to charitable donations.

One particular experience that stands out is when our team contributed to a fundraising event for a local charity. We collaborated with community members, organized a fun-filled event, and raised a significant amount of money for a worthy cause. It was incredibly rewarding to see the positive impact we could make when we come together as a team to support our community.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

One specific example that resonates with me is when a good friend once told me, "Don't be afraid to fail; be afraid of not trying." This simple yet profound advice has encouraged me to take risks, pursue my passions, and push beyond my comfort zone. It has empowered me to approach challenges with courage, resilience, and a growth mindset.

"Don't be afraid to fail; be afraid of not trying."

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

Fostering an inclusive company culture is crucial for creating a supportive workplace where women feel valued, respected and empowered to contribute their unique perspectives and talents.

To achieve this, companies should prioritize promoting diversity and inclusion initiatives, offering unconscious bias training to employees, and establishing employee resource groups that focus on women's advancement. By implementing these strategies, companies can ensure that they are creating an environment that promotes gender equality and encourages female employees to thrive and succeed within the organization.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Be Confident in Your Abilities: Believe in yourself and your capabilities. You have valuable skills, knowledge, and perspectives to offer, so don't hesitate to speak up, share your ideas, and take on new challenges with confidence. Advocate for Yourself: Take ownership of your career development by actively seeking out opportunities for growth, advancement, and recognition.

Don't be afraid to advocate for yourself, whether it's negotiating salary, asking for feedback, or pursuing new opportunities within your organization.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

This year, I am eagerly anticipating a combination of personal and professional milestones. On the personal front, I feel a growing sense of excitement as I prepare for a significant life event that fills me with anticipation and joy. Professionally, I am enthusiastic about achieving various goals and milestones, embracing new opportunities, and overcoming challenges with determination. Overall, I am looking forward to a year filled with growth, fulfillment, and meaningful experiences.

IMG_3010 - Annie Keme.JPG