Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Ania Smith, CEO at TaskRabbit.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

As the CEO of TaskRabbit, I determine the company vision and lead our global growth and expansion. Driven by our mission of making everyday life easier for everyday people, and in partnership with IKEA, I work to ensure our two-sided marketplace scales effectively.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

I came to TaskRabbit with more than 20 years of experience in global business operations and strategic planning at large multi-sided marketplace companies, including UberEats and Airbnb. Along with the support of wonderful people at TaskRabbit, the soft and hard skills I’ve picked up throughout my career have made the transition to CEO so rewarding.

In your opinion, what’s the #1 decision or move you’ve made that has helped advance your career?

I don’t think about my career as a progressive upward trajectory. Instead, I like to think of it as a Google Map. Sometimes you’re flying down the highway at full speed, other times you may take a wrong turn down a bumpy road. Occasionally, you’re parked at a long stoplight. Through it all, the most important thing for me was to be open to new opportunities — take risks and have faith that I would wind up exactly where I need to be.

Choosing the less conventional path has paid off in several ways — including recognizing that it’s not always a climb up. As an example, for some part of my career, while working on strategy at Walmart eCommerce, I really wanted to ‘own’ a business which meant becoming a merchant. This was hard to do without any merchandising experience. Many senior leaders told me that it would be a tough road to get there. Still, through several lateral career moves, I finally got offered a role that I really wanted. Yet, in the end I turned it down in order to start a completely new business. That then led to a great opportunity at Airbnb which I think would have been more difficult to obtain had I accepted the merchandising role.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

This past year has taught me the importance of being nimble and adaptable, both personally and professionally. The COVID-19 pandemic changed everything — and despite making several important adjustments to our business at TaskRabbit — a level of uncertainty is always there.

What’s important is the ability to adapt and pivot quickly. We’re all navigating through uncharted territory, so we’ll inevitably take some wrong turns along the way. However, I think about everything as a learning experience that will allow us to make more informed decisions next time.

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

Learning to be comfortable being the “only” in a room — the only woman, mother, or the only immigrant — was a challenge. When I started out in my career, I sometimes felt intimidated, but over time I began to think about it as an opportunity. I embrace what makes me unique and strive to show others around me how these differences can create value for my team/company. I am fortunate at TaskRabbit that more than 70% of my leadership team is women — I no longer have to feel like I’m the only one in the room.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

There are a few qualities that I’ve grown to appreciate in a mentor. In my mind, the best mentors are those who can listen and help to solve problems without providing solutions. I also appreciate when mentors are able to see blindspots that I may have a harder time identifying, especially when it comes to leadership skills. Finally, the notion of a one-sided mentorship is not something I generally subscribe to. I am certain that I learn as much from those I mentor, if not more, than they learn from me. I hope I also provide value to those who have been by my side helping me to navigate my career.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Be confident and don’t be afraid to speak up. Also, if you want to continue growing and progressing in your career, rather than always focusing on that next step, make it your primary goal to do a phenomenal job in your current role. When it’s time to talk about promotions, then you’re already top of mind because you’ve demonstrated value and growth potential to the company.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

Although “diversity” and “inclusion” may seem like buzzwords these days, workplaces must prioritize diversity of thought and experience as they hire and promote employees. At TaskRabbit, we have a top-down approach to ensuring women are treated as equals to men; in fact, more than 70% of our senior leadership team is comprised of women. We prioritize D&I not only because it’s the right thing to do, but also because we’ve seen that it has made our company more successful overall.

Is there a cause that is particularly close to you? If so, why this cause and how did you get involved?

As a first-generation child to go to college in my family, and an immigrant, it has been particularly rewarding to work with first-generation immigrant children, especially young women, as they navigate high school and apply to college. I’ve been involved in a program that mentors these women to get them ready for college and supports them once they arrive. It helps that I’ve gone through what they’re about to go through, and I’m excited to share the joys and the challenges with them as they prepare for adulthood.

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

TaskRabbit officially joined Pledge 1% in November 2019. TaskRabbit has been a mission-driven company since its founding, and giving back is an extremely important part of our culture. Through our TaskRabbit for Good initiative, TaskRabbit employees have pledged 1% of our time to volunteer with non-profit organizations dedicated to helping people find work or a place to call home in the communities we serve. We achieve this through a combination of office-wide community service days to support local nonprofits, department-specific volunteer events and individual volunteer time at charities of each employee’s choice.

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

My family — including my husband and our three children — is a very active bunch. Together, we love to travel (which unfortunately has been put on pause during COVID-19) and enjoy hiking, rafting, biking and skiing. In fact, we spent a gap year living in Argentina, and I’m so grateful for that experience.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment? Please share your most recent favorite book or podcast!

I have been reading a lot of non-fiction lately including the latest book from Adam Grant, whom I adore, “Think Again”. I also just fished Bob Iger’s “Ride of a Lifetime” and am deeply immersed in “Walt Disney, the Triumph of the American Imagination” by Neal Gabler to follow on the Disney theme. Recently, I also finished “A Gentleman in Moscow” by Amor Towels which was one of my favorite novels I have read in years.

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

The realities of the pandemic have helped me become an effective leader remotely — although I would still much prefer to be getting to know everyone in person. I strive to build connections and trust from the very start, and make the most out of every minute I have with people over Google Hangouts or Zoom.

I also bring my whole self to work. I try to be authentic, engaging, and empathetic and encourage others to do the same.