Angela-Bee-Chan-Hackathon-Australia-with-logo

Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are changing the world. Our leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, and are all doing their part to have an impact in their communities and at their workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their background and path to success.

What is your name and title?

Angela Bee Chan, Eco-Innovation Leader at Schneider Electric. I am also the CEO and founder of Hackathons International.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

My role is to foster a culture of innovation that is sustainable and drives growth. I hope to inspire an entrepreneurial mindset and help connect the dots to make a positive impact on the world.

What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?

Running a hackathon at Schneider Electric!

It’s not easy to merge two passions together but the hackathon gave me an opportunity to showcase my other world, enabling me to create my own role at Schneider Electric. Now I can do both at once which has opened many more doors!

What’s the number one challenge you face as a woman in your industry?

I believe everyone has unique skills that should be recognized and developed. Confidence is a trait I’ve needed to develop over time. I’ve had great colleagues, mentors and friends who have continuously given me feedback and helped me develop in this area. I think many people struggle with this in general!

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. If you don’t know something, ask for a clarification. If you don’t have a mentor, ask someone to be your mentor. If you don’t have a strong network, ask for a referral. If you don’t have a strong support network, ask people to be your accountability partners. You’ll be surprised by how generous people are!

What women inspires you the most? Why?

Emma Watson. She is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in and uses her influence to give back to the community. Michelle Obama is also a great role model. She is vulnerable, honest and prioritizes family, friendships and children’s health.

Are you reading/listening to anything interesting at the moment?

The women of Schneider Electric have put together a book club on Brene Brown’s Dare to Lead. There are exercises online so we are going through that monthly.

What is something coming up that excites you?

I’m just excited about changing the world! I’m really getting into clean, renewable energy and making it sustainable for people, communities and the planet.