Pledge 1%’s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way.

What is your name and title?

Amanda Rees, Cofounder & CEO at Bold.

Briefly (1-2 sentences) describe your current role.

I’m the Cofounder and CEO of Bold, a digital health and wellness platform focused on disease prevention and healthy aging. Bold offers personalized and research-backed, on-demand exercise programs, to help our members stay active and healthy so that they can chase the life they want at any age.

How did you get here? Please share any quick stories from past work experiences.

Before starting Bold, I worked at The 11th Hour Project, a program of The Schmidt Family Foundation, managing the Renewable Energy portfolio. While there, I worked on many incredible initiatives with nonprofits focused on democratizing renewable energy and advancing environmental and economic justice.

During this time, I was also living with and caring for my grandmother. I eventually started Bold because my role as a family caregiver and my experience teaching fitness classes at retirement communities led me to realize there was a need to develop better tools for healthy aging.

What is the most important lesson you’ve learned this past year?

Growing our team and business remotely has made it crystal clear that it’s essential to invest time and energy to develop clear communication and build trust in relationships that matter to you.

Do you have any mentors? What does mentorship mean to you?

Yes – I have found a few incredible mentors that I can turn to when I need advice and feedback on how to evolve and grow as a leader. I’m incredibly grateful for their willingness to share their own experiences with me as a way to help me learn and find my own path forward.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

1. Surround yourself with people you respect and who share your values.
2. If an opportunity excites you, chase it.

What is one thing companies can do, big or small, to help create an environment that advances women into leadership positions?

Recognize diversity in leadership styles and don’t assume there is a “right way to think” about everything.

What is one thing you hope to accomplish in the next year?

I’d love to get vaccinated 🙂

When did your company join Pledge 1%? What does your impact program mean to you?

Bold joined Pledge 1% last year because we’re committed to not only improving the lives of our members, but to supporting efforts that advance health equity and justice more broadly. I also love that our impact program supports community building within our organization too!

What do you like to do outside of the office? Any interesting (or unique) habits or interests?

Samba dancing

What’s been the one (or two!) things that have helped you navigate this past year? Any tips or tricks to dealing with remote work?

I believe health always comes first, and during a year that has been traumatic and stressful in many ways, I think it has been more important than ever to create a culture that values physical and mental wellbeing.