cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45.png

Abigail Matchett

VP, Data Strategy, Bounteous

📍Philadelphia, PA

If you could describe yourself in one word, what would that be and why?

Empowering. Success in my role requires me to empower our clients through data and digital strategy and also to empower the people that I lead within a client and management context. For example, I know that I am successful when the teams I lead feel empowered to solve for challenges and obstacles within their reach, but that they also feel empowered to escalate when they need support.

When I lead with the intent to empower others, I find that people are more likely to stay engaged and work more creatively, thus also enjoying their roles and growing their influence within the company.

Pledge 1% provides a framework for businesses to do good. Do you think it’s important for today’s corporate leaders to prioritize social impact? If so, why?

Absolutely. Social impact missions and plans are essential to transform our communities, meet consumer expectations, and retain best in class talent.

We live in a world where corporate leaders must consider the communities that they serve, identifying causes where time, talent, or funding can make an impact. Consumers have high expectations of the brands that they bring into their homes. We see more and more that consumers are choosing to shop and spend their time with companies that share in a positive mission, meaning that social impact is not just important for society but for brand equity.

Moreover, employees are also seeking to positively change their communities, and are choosing roles within companies that stand behind a meaningful social impact plan for a higher sense of purpose.

Do you give back to the community with your team and work? If so, what does this look like?

I feel that it is important to personally and professionally give back to the community. Bounteous translates to "generously given or giving; bountiful", and we take this seriously.

Sometimes giving back means donating financially to causes we support (and, our company matches donations!) but other times it means being supporting employees to get out in the community with our time and skills (during work hours!). One such example near and dear to my heart is 412 Food rescue, a local to Pittsburgh food rescue service that solves for the disconnect of food waste and gives a surplus to those who need it. Our team engages regularly in food rescues through the app, which deliver fresh food to nonprofits who serve our neighbors experiencing food insecurity. And, we also contributed our time and expertise to enhance the app itself, donating our skills to help implement analytics and data tracking. We continue to partner with 412 Food Rescue and other companies that positively impact our communities.

What’s the best piece of advice you've ever received?

I have a mentor who has always encouraged me to "be the leader of my own life". This perspective has enabled me to strategically cultivate my path forward and work towards goals that matter to me.

Its been great advice because when you own your own choices, you shift away from a victim mindset (or feeling helpless) towards accountability and ultimately leadership. I highly encourage anyone who feels like their career has slipped out of their hands to consider crafting a thoughtful plan forward for how they can begin to lead their life, what they can control, and how they can start to shift their decision making towards leadership and accountability.

"Be the leader of my own life."

This year’s International Women’s Day themes are focused on investing in women and inspiring inclusion. What can we do to make today’s workplaces more equitable and inclusive for women?

First and foremost, senior executives and leaders must align and agree that work equity is important. This culture shift has to start at the top and be led through example. But, more tactically, workplaces can provide wage transparency, establish flexible work arrangements, and provide more active training to managers and leaders for diversity, equity, and inclusion.

For wage transparency, women still often are paid less than their male counterparts of equal education and qualification. Providing ranges for positions empowers all applicants and employees to self advocate, starting from the same footing. Additionally, women often bear the responsibility for childcare and other commitments that make a flexible work arrangement so important. And its important that they feel safe in taking these benefits, whether its work from home or flexible work hours, and that participating in flexible work arrangements won't negatively impact their performance or earning potential.

And lastly, when managers are trained on diversity, equity, and inclusion appropriately, they can often more effectively support of women within the workplace.

What advice do you have for women who are just starting their career?

Build your network. It takes time, but just like any investment, it pays off. The majority of my former colleagues and friends have found new career opportunities through their network, with recommendations or interviews scheduled outside of a typical application process.

But building a network doesn't have to be all about new positions or roles outside of a company. Sometimes this may look like reaching out to someone you think highly of for mentorship or a weekly coffee, or staying in touch with a former colleague who you admired. But it may also be executing great work and ensuring that people remember your name so that when interesting projects are discussed, you become a top choice for participation or leadership.

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

I'm most looking forward to creating new consumer experiences and collaborating with our clients who see 2024 as the year to re-invent their digital footprint. I am always energized by working through strategies for transformation, really doubling down on the why behind the work and rolling up our sleeves to ensure we are working towards the most impactful and valuable outcomes. Lets go!