cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone implemented an Unlimited Time Off policy?

codywooten
Ambassador
Channel Manager, Appfire Technologies

Was just curious to see if anyone had this policy implemented at their company, and would love to know if it has helped increase employee engagement around social impact or not. 

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Reading
Advocate
Head of Atlassian Foundation and Chair of Pledge 1% Board, Atlassian

I'm not aware of anyone having implemented an Unlimited Time Off volunteering policy.

The most generous policy I'm aware of is 1 day per month, implemented by Australian Pledge 1% member Wilson Asset Management. I'm not sure whether the WAM policy is indeed 1 day per month or 12 days per year (hopefully the latter). The WAM Pledge 1% announcement from 2016 included the following: "We have a program that allows our employees to spend one day each month working in the non-profit sector,"  

At Atlassian, we give everyone 5 days per year.

InesGarcia
Helping Hand
Agile Coach, Consultant, Author, Get Agile

Unlimited Time Off 

OR

Unlimited Time Off for Volunteering ?

Ines Garcia
Author amazon.com/author/inesgarcia
Agile Coach CSP-SM | Salesforce MVP | Inventor | Author

codywooten
Ambassador
Channel Manager, Appfire Technologies

Sorry, I should have clarified better. 

We have implemented an unlimited time-off policy in hopes to encourage people to use their time to volunteer even more. Of course, this is in addition to the other benefits of having this policy. 

Rayanne
Explorer
Operations Manager, Williams AV & Security

We don't have an unlimited time off policy, but I've done some research and my understanding is that it actually leads people to take LESS time off because they're afraid of looking like they're taking advantage of the policy. On the flip side, I believe I read that if senior management sets the example of taking plenty of time off, it tends to make other employees feel like they can take more time without negative repercussions. If you're trying to encourage volunteering, I think that communicating that is important, as well as the leadership team setting the example. Just some ideas...

janelle
Ambassador
Manager, Customer Data, Zylo

We have an unlimited time off policy and we tried implementing a separate VTO (volunteer time off) policy of 8 hours across the org. It didn't have the best success and we've not seen a connection between unlimited time off and increased volunteering. The most success we've had with encouraging people to volunteer is regularly sharing ways that they can get involved --- something that'll inspire volunteering and highlight how important it is to the company. And, we had more people take part in VTO when we incentivized it with a raffle drawing for company swag. 

Ingrid_IndexEng
Advocate
Director/Business Manager, Index Engineering

?? By unlimited time off, do you mean that this is paid time off? Paid time that has to be used for volunteer work in the community? Or do you mean that this is unlimited unpaid leave. Not sure how that relates specifically to the 1% pledge, unless you are paying people for doing volunteer work and making people accountable for this time  (e.g. providing proof that it is related to approved community volunteer work, not something like helping their mother move house, unless that is what was in your policy). I think unlimited unpaid time off, like people taking sabbaticals, would be tricky to manage, as the work still needs to be done, so this means planning on taking on less work or employing someone to cover this time etc.

Announcements

The Climate Action and Green Recovery Playbook

The Climate Action and Green Recovery Playbook will serve as a roadmap for all Pledge 1% companies to get involved in combating climate change through leveraging our unique resources, employee activations and engagement, and internal and external policies that consider all stakeholders, including the planet.

Playbooks are a Pledge 1% Member resource. Not a Member yet? Take the Pledge today for full access to the Pledge 1% tools & resources.