cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Funding Foundation of Studio Eye

robbieierubino
Path Finder
Founder & Principal Creative Director, Studio Eye
Hi! My name is Robbie Ierubino, a US-born, autistic motion graphic artist & designer, plus electronica music producer, living in Europe. Throughout my entire life, I faced many challenges that “typical” kids do not. It took me a long time to speak as a child, and communication is still difficult. Because of my autism, I struggle with verbal communication. Talking with people and writing my thoughts are difficult because it is hard for me to find the right words. Through my art, I feel free. I think autism has given me a unique perspective, and I hope it comes through in my art. As my senses are always on high alert, my understanding of the world around me may differ from others. For example, when I hear music, I see pictures in my head. Or, when I think of a movie, I can see it and listen to it playing in my mind. Sometimes, these constant bombardments are unwelcome and may overwhelm me, but this allows me to boost my visual communication to let my works convey an intended message in a manner I may not be able to verbalize.

After graduating from university and working as an intern, I have struggled to find a new graphic design job. However, I was recommended another option when taking an online creative course. The course host, Michael Johnson, had the same experience as I did when he got unemployed and had no choice but to start his company, Johnson Banks. Luckily, I had thought of a company that would support me and disabled creatives to work and create in multiple creative industries. That is when I decided to start establishing Studio Eye, which intends to support, diversify, and socially include the neurodiverse and people with disabilities who want to develop optimistic impacts worldwide through creative collaboration in multiple industries.

The creative industries that creatives with disabilities wanted to be included in are:
  1. Films & TV Shows - produced by the entertainment industry.
  2. Music - created by musicians and produced by the music industry.
  3. Books and Magazines - written and published by the publishing industry.
  4. Artwork & Sculptures - made by artists and sold by galleries and art dealers.
  5. Graphic Design - created by designers and used in advertising, marketing, and branding.
  6. Video Games - developed by the gaming industry.
  7. Architecture - designed by architects and built by construction companies.
  8. Fashion - created and produced by the fashion industry.
  9. Photography - taken by photographers and sold to clients or used in advertising and marketing.
  10. Performing Arts - including theater, dance, and opera, produced by the performing arts industry.

I thought about having people with disabilities join my business because some struggle to find jobs of interest and have little money. That is where the values of Studio Eye come in. Those values are:
  • INCLUSION - Sometimes, requirements are essential for employee recruitment. However, job hunters are looking for the jobs they would enjoy, the ones they believe they would be good at, and the ones that will pay them well. And some of those job hunters are autistic, neurodiverse, and live with disabilities.
  • POSSIBILITIES - While working at Studio Eye, creative or not, we plan to have the capability to provide special needs for our members, clients, and future recruits who want to use their unique talents, join particular communities, and get paid for their job as is the right for all workers.
  • SUPPORT - Some people desire to explain and share ideas but have trouble communicating with others. Often, those people are neurodivergent, and their brains can think in different ways. Even if they have medical disorders, learning disabilities, and other conditions, it is normal for neurodivergent people to develop differently. They may struggle in some areas and be talented in others. This is similar to all humans.
  • DEVELOPMENT - Many people can think about new brilliant ideas, but not all can make them a reality. Some people can use their creative skills to bring ideas to life. Others use their technical and scientific skills to create. Disability doesn’t stop this. Throughout human history, disabled people, including Leonardo da Vinci, Pablo Picasso, Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Alexander Graham Bell, Albert Einstein, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Stephen Hawking, and Temple Grandin, have impacted the world through various subjects, such as math, science, engineering, music, design, and art.
  • PARTNERSHIPS - The most significant fact about competitive rivalries is that they can dent the morale and philosophy of businesses. But it won’t be an issue for Studio Eye because community-based support is what we expect from our members, clients, and other organizations, including agencies, studios, and different types, as partners.
  • ACCESSIBILITY - Accessibility is an essential need for people with disabilities. That is why Studio Eye is prepared to empower and assist creatives with disabilities by creating an accessible environment for them to showcase their talents and receive support.

Since Studio Eye is starting up as a remote business before on-site, the reason why is that due to mental health issues that some people with disabilities are having, flexibility is essential to everyone’s timing, scheduling, balancing, and productivity. But most importantly, they are in need of money and support, which is why Studio Eye will be a hybrid-type business: for-profit and non-profit. With that, the creative business would like to revive, run, and transform a small business, which was founded by my father, into an international charity organization titled NeighborHeart. NeighborHeart will commit to raising money and awareness for people with disabilities, including the employees of Studio Eye, whose life-quality grants must be financially supported for service and provided for them and their families.

Before it becomes a creative enterprise with an organized system for the creative sectors, Studio Eye will be going on a roadmap while growing from a remote design agency to an on-site creative studio to an international business. Studio Eye is open to projects that are self-initiative, collaborative, and client-commissioning. So now that you’ve read about us, are you interested in building your support and commissioning your creative project to us? In that case, my team and I look forward to connecting and collaborating with you on my Patreon page or my Discord server to follow our progress or subscribe for exclusive content. But if you want to donate and invest your support for Studio Eye, go to our GoFundMe page to do that. See you there!
Robbie Ierubino
2 REPLIES 2

Kali N
Helping Hand
Social Impact @ Atlassian Foundation, Atlassian Foundation International Limited (AFIL)

Hey @robbieierubino this is awesome - thank you for sharing your journey, and the story behind Studio Eye!

@joelconnolly - a creative venture that may use some of your contacts, and @steveking maybe there's some connections you can support in the disability/ inclusion space?

KALI NORMAN
Social Impact @ Atlassian Foundation
www.atlassianfoundation.org

AlejandraParra
Explorer
Pledge 1%

Your determination to create a space where individuals with disabilities can thrive creatively is not only admirable but much needed in today's world. Thank you for sharing!❤️

Announcements

The Climate Action and Green Recovery Playbook

The Climate Action and Green Recovery Playbook will serve as a roadmap for all Pledge 1% companies to get involved in combating climate change through leveraging our unique resources, employee activations and engagement, and internal and external policies that consider all stakeholders, including the planet.

Playbooks are a Pledge 1% Member resource. Not a Member yet? Take the Pledge today for full access to the Pledge 1% tools & resources.