cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation.  While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-27 at 6.55.51 PM.png

Shannon Emmerson

Founder and CEO, Forge & Spark Media

Vancouver, BC, Canada

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences. 

I lead and support our killer all-women content marketing agency in delivering premium service to our amazing purpose-led clients, and in our growth (we're aiming for mightier, and kinder, not bigger).

What’s the best part of your job? What do you enjoy the most?

The best part of my job is my team. I LOVE that we always take time to connect as people first, and that everyone feels open about sharing both points of pride and challenge in our work. It always reminds me always of how warm and resilient people are, and how lucky I am to be surrounded and supported by some of the best.

We’ve all faced personal and professional challenges these past two years - what motivates you to keep going?

Everyone on our team has been challenged over the past couple of years, in big ways as well as in small but persistent ways. We have all been worn down from time to time, including myself. I'm motivated sometimes by remembering that I'm the old and wise one among my crew and that they are watching me for cues. What they don't know is that I'm watching them, absorbing all of their energy and hope and channelling it into my next sentence or action.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

Take the time to pause. Even a breath can save, ground, or restore you.

What does generosity mean to you? 

It's the moment when you're tempted to keep something to yourself for your own benefit or gain, and you don't--and there's a kind of smile that starts around you because of it.

How do you feel businesses can play a larger role in solving today’s biggest challenges? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

Change starts with every individual. We all have the profound power to affect others, with our words and actions and attitudes. We know that as humans. I firmly believe that this extends to business, too. As a leader -- whether as the head of a company or of a team or of your own project or assignment -- you get to choose what you care about and make and contribute time and energy and passion to. For me, as a writer and creative and mom, told I had no talent in business, it was about getting over that and creating a unique work model where other people who'd been taught -- incorrectly -- that they couldn't own or run a business, could. And not only that but there were others keen to teach and support and guide, and they could too, in turn. You can grow business and pride together, it turns out.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Kind. Because it matters so deeply on a human level to simply be seen, and witnesed. We can be going through the lowest moments without showing it and need, always, that human gesture to remind us of our dignity and worth.

If you could pick a song to guide you through 2022, which song would it be?

Jenny Lewis, Puppy and a Truck. This is darkly comic pop-country song about a woman finding her way on her terms, armed (after some tough times) with something that makes her feel like she can take on the world, and something dear to love (who loves back). "Shut up. Get a puppy and a truck." How can you not love that?

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

We've applied to become a BCorp and whether or not we make it this round, I'm inspired by the community and by the thoughtful changes that starting this journey has prompted.