cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 8.43.13 PM.png

Kristin van Busum

Founder / CEO, Project Alianza

Boston, MA

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences.

As the leader of Project Alianza, I work with our international team on developing and executing a strategy for bringing innovative, community-led education to poor, rural communities in Latin America. I am also a public speaking coach and teach an experiential learning class to MBA students at Boston University

What’s the best part of your job? What do you enjoy the most?

Hands down, our team. In Central America, our staff is compromised of women who are leading change in their local communities where conditions can be really, really rough. We work in rural, low-resource communities with high density of absolute poverty, meaning the majority of people live on about $1.50 a day. Roads are often flooded, the political climate is volatile, and many children are forced to work at an early age without labor protections. Our team lives their core principles, and even when circumstances seem impossible, they are relentless, committed, solution-finders. I guess you could say I work with super heroes. They are my favorite part.

We’ve all faced personal and professional challenges, especially during these past two years - what motivates you to keep going?

I am committed to the broader purpose of our mission to support children's education regardless of gender or where they are born. When times get tough, jobs may evolve, but our calling never will.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

My mom always told me to never the let world make you small. Conformist ideas that don't serve your greater purpose may make you comfortable, but in the end, the real magic happens when we step further out of our box.

What does generosity mean to you?

Generosity requires the self-awareness to acknowledge your unique gifts, talents, and privileges and having the courage to share them with others so they may walk away a bit better after knowing you.

How do you feel businesses can play a larger role in solving today’s biggest challenges? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

It's often said that that helping people get out of intergenerational poverty isn’t a role businesses can or should try to play. But I disagree. As a nonprofit, we partner with the private sector, many in the coffee industry, to sponsor our work and connect us with communities in need of educational opportunities. Why? Because I've seen firsthand that knowledge-sharing and collaboration across sectors is necessary to keep mission-driven work alive. In order to match the gravitas of systemic issues around gender inequality or access to education, we need all hands on deck.

If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be and why?

Courageous. Not because I am "tough," but because I am the exact opposite. Regardless of fear or the adversity, I choose to show up -- vulnerably, authentically, and ready to contribute.

If you could pick a song to guide you through 2022, which song would it be?

"Who run the world?" - Beyonce

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

This year, I am thrilled to begin traveling for work and pleasure again! Some of my greatest ideas have come to mind when I'm in a foreign context, learning from someone who has vastly different experiences than my own.