cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pledge 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pledge 1%'s #WomenWhoLead series celebrates female leaders who are paving the way for the next generation. While our featured leaders come from a variety of backgrounds and industries, they are united in their efforts to promote equality for all women in the workplace. We’ve asked them to share a bit about their journey to success, as well as lessons they’ve learned along the way. 

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 10.45.02 PM.png

Chloe Watts

Internal Communications Lead, Atlassian Foundation, Atlassian

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia

What is your current role? Briefly describe in 1-2 sentences.

Creating communications that inspire Atlassian employees to make an impact on a global scale and in their own backyards through the Atlassian Foundation.

This year's International Women's Day theme is "Embrace Equity." What does this mean to you? How can we build workplaces that are more equitable and inclusive?

My first job out of university was at an engineering firm where I used to receive emails addressed "Dear Gents". We've progressed since then but still have far to go. I have a three-year-old son and a two-year-old daughter and I'm dismayed about the myriad ways that society constrains and shapes them according to their gender.

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received?

My dad is a sailor and taught me how to use the Southern Cross constellation to find due south.

The past few years have brought many new and unprecedented challenges. What keeps you motivated or inspires you to stay optimistic?

I subscribe to Future Crunch as an antidote to the fear-inducing news cycle.

Pledge 1% helps companies of all sizes and stages leverage their assets for social good. Why do you think it's important that companies prioritize social impact? Do you have any specific stories or examples from your work or colleagues you can share?

I love that Pledge 1% challenges the notion that you work all your life, build your wealth and then give back to those who are less fortunate. The belief is that businesses can, and should, bake social impact into their DNA from the very beginning.

Do you have any unique or useful life hacks to help get through your day?

I don't look at my phone after 8pm. Would recommend!

What are you looking forward to this year? Are there any goals (personal or professional), activities, or experiences you are excited about?

I've started ocean swimming. It reliably delivers these lovely, unique endorphins - I think perhaps it's a combo of the exertion, cold water and seeing so much horizon.

1 Comment